Sign in with
Your question

New Build - Anything that I should avoid?

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2008 12:53:45 AM

Hey all,

I have been researching and researching and I figure the last step was to reach out to other end-users and see if there is anything my reading may have missed. All suggestions and/or good/bad experiences are welcome!

CASE : Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS

CPU : Intel Core i7 965EE

MB : ASUS Rampage II Extreme

PSU: COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA 1000W ATX12V

RAM : Still unsure. Hoping that some good 6-12gb triple channel kits will be released soon. Right now either G-Skill or Patriot 1600.

HDD: (1) SAMSUNG MCCOE64G5MPP-0VA00 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk
(2) Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (RAID0)
(1) Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

GPU : (1) ASUS EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5

DRIVES : LG Black Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L
LIAN LI CR-25B 20-in-1 USB 2.0 Black Aluminum Card Reader

Liquid Cooled via -

PUMP : Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC Pump

RES : Thermaltake AquaBay M3

RAD : Danger Den Black Ice GTX Xtreme Radiator

FANS : (3) ENERMAX EVEREST UCEV12 120mm Blue LED TWISTER BEARING Case Fan

WB's : DangerDen MC-TDX for Intel I7/Nehalem/1366
Koolance VID-487X2 (Radeon HD 4870 X2)
(2-3) Koolance RAM-30-V06 (Dual DDR/DDR2/DDR3/SD)

FLOWMETER : Thermaltake Flow TX plus

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? Anything that you think I am missing or should alter?

Gracias.

More about : build avoid

November 14, 2008 1:23:53 AM

1) Reconsider the SSD. Everything but the intel ssd has a very annoying write delay problem. Read this anandtech article:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...
The intel 80gb x25-m is expensive, but is the best.
2) Reconsider raid-0.

There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.
Go to www.storagereview.com at this link: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Single...
There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.
---good luck---
November 14, 2008 1:48:07 AM

I would recommend a different block... anything other than the Koolance. Have you looked at EK blocks?
With that specifications, your tubing should be at least 3/8" minimum. You are hurting your flow rate using the TT Flowmeter as that's meant for 1/4" tubing. Flowmeters aren't neccesary. I'm using EK multires - the cyclone indicates my flow :D 
What are the CFM of those fans for your RADs? The GTX requires high CFM fans.
Related resources
November 17, 2008 3:50:59 PM

Anyone have an idea which water block I should grab for the 1366 socket? I dont see any adapters being offered and DD is the only one that seems to be offering a WB for the i7.

Thoughts?
November 27, 2008 2:18:55 PM

Hey guys.

So the build is finished save the water cooling build. All the parts are en route. I've done some minor tweaking, but I am hesitant of moving forward until the WC system arrives. I've seen load temps upwards of 80...

Anyway, have a question about temp senors. Are they important? If so, what is the correct way to install them and on what components?

Thanks for the help!
!