Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 4850 - ATI Function Driver for HD Audio - ATI AA01

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2008 4:45:33 AM

Hi all,

When I was at the store earlier I saw a HD 4850 and noticed it was listed on the best of december 2008 video card review when surfing with my blackberry from here. I thought to myself that if its on this list then it's good enough for me :)  .

Anyway I bought and installed the card, runs fine. I just had a question regarding the high definition audio. I noticed a new device under my Sound, video and game controllers named:

"ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01"

I figured it was the onboard sound from the video card and navigated to my sound and audio devices and attempted to choose this option under my sound playback but there was no such option. The *only* option there is my SB Audigy 2. Even if I wasn't going to use this device, is there a reason why it won't show up on the list? I searched the net for similiar issues but didnt find anything. Anybody have an idea?

I would basically like to have the "option" to switch to it but its not listing at all. I went into my MB bios and enabled the onboard sound there (Asus M2V - realtek HD) to see if it had anything to do with this and it only listed its own.

I also attempted to install all of the ATI software that I could grab, display drivers, CCC package, VIVO package, reinstalled the ATI HD audio drivers over a few times etc but no luck.

Anybody have any idea?

Btw my setup:

AMD X2 3800+
2 GB system memory
Asus M2V Motherboard
VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 512MB
OCZ 650W PSU
December 9, 2008 5:22:23 AM

It is the HDMI home theater sound output. You won't use it unless you connect your VC to a home theater system, and your HTS has an HDMI audio input. I think it is only enabled when connected this way (the HDCP copy protection scheme will allow the HTS to recognize the HDMI and vice versa).

Its one of those features that looks cool in the marketing literature, but I think only a fraction of a fraction of a % will ever use it.

Ironically, a lower end videocard that is fanless and used in a media/home theater PC is more likely to use the feature.

Enjoy your system and don't give it another thought.
a c 106 U Graphics card
December 9, 2008 5:31:06 AM

Yeah for me it shows up selectable in Vista but not in XP. Anyway it's for the HDMI output. If you use the HDMI adapter, usually included in your video card box, you can connect it to a TV or home theater system and both audio and video will be outputted from your computer. It's great for hooking the thing up to a sound system or HDTV, but not useful otherwise :D .
Related resources
December 9, 2008 7:25:08 PM

Thank you both for the helpful replies. :) 
February 27, 2009 6:36:30 PM

Well I'm the one that is using it in that fashion. I've got the output connected via HDMI, but I am NOT getting any sound. Like ghowthoo said, the driver is loaded and the ATI instructions state go into your Audio Device setting and select the "mixer" as your default devise, but it is not listed as an option. Anyone have any ideas?

Win XP Pro SP3
Dual Xeon 3GHz, 4GB RAM

March 5, 2009 8:13:14 AM

I've just tried it out by installing the Realtek driver (Realtek Semiconductor Corp. High Definition Audio System Software Ver:R2.13) ftp://file6.mydrivers.com/sound/Realtek_HDMI_R213.zip, if you can not download it please try search in other sites.

I'm also using a 4850 card. Same issue as you aforementioned, even I have installed the HDMI audio driver along with the full driver package downloaded from AMD site. there's no options in the audio device property. But just in luck I gained information from other guy in a forum. Just try it, hope it can solve your problem. Good luck!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2009 12:11:55 PM

AK2236 said:
I've just tried it out by installing the Realtek driver (Realtek Semiconductor Corp. High Definition Audio System Software Ver:R2.13) ftp://file6.mydrivers.com/sound/Realtek_HDMI_R213.zip, if you can not download it please try search in other sites.

I'm also using a 4850 card. Same issue as you aforementioned, even I have installed the HDMI audio driver along with the full driver package downloaded from AMD site. there's no options in the audio device property. But just in luck I gained information from other guy in a forum. Just try it, hope it can solve your problem. Good luck!

well, trying your solution was the best ever happened since I bought my HD4350 yesterday. I have tried everything I could even formated the whole Drive and installed everything all over again, but no luck in getting any single sound...
anyway, when I installed Realtek HDMI R2.13, I could finally open music files (unlike before it said that a sound unit was missing even with all drivers installed). But here again, yes I opened the file, and volume is maximated, but still I didn't get a sound.
Can anyone help me with this issue?

The system am using:
Windows XP Media Center Edition Ver 2002 - SP2
AMD Athlon 4600+
2GB RAM
April 11, 2009 4:02:35 AM

If you can see there are options in the audio property (on-board audio / ATI HDMI). Try uninstalling Realtek HDMI driver and reinstalling AMD HDMI audio driver for XP(download from AMD official site). Then restart your computer, select "ATI HD Audio rear output" in the sound property. and then you can have a test of the system's main sound volume, see if there's any sound outpput. And also please do remember to change the playback plug-in while using some music players.
August 2, 2009 2:02:09 PM

I have had problems in XP after installing ati catalyst 9.7 with drivers for my new 4850 1gb sapphire. I do not have this problem with same system using windows 7 RC newest ati drivers with this video card.
After installing 9.7 drivers my video playback in windows media player acted like it was on fast forward visually along with having no sound.
I had no problems with my video or audio before I installed this card.
How I fixed the problem was to just disable the ATI hdmi audio in Device Manager in windows XP.
My audio and video then worked perfectly again,but anyone wanting to use the hdmi audio on a high def tv would not want to do this IF they wanted to use the hdmi cable.
Until ATI fixes this problem with their XP drivers,I would say just connect to a high def or LCD tv with the hdmi and use pc speakers.
I am not sure if the hdmi audio works on Vista or windows 7 using the hdmi cable on an LCD TV.
August 19, 2009 3:56:26 PM

pctechnogeek said:
I have had problems in XP after installing ati catalyst 9.7 with drivers for my new 4850 1gb sapphire. I do not have this problem with same system using windows 7 RC newest ati drivers with this video card.
After installing 9.7 drivers my video playback in windows media player acted like it was on fast forward visually along with having no sound.
I had no problems with my video or audio before I installed this card.
How I fixed the problem was to just disable the ATI hdmi audio in Device Manager in windows XP.
My audio and video then worked perfectly again,but anyone wanting to use the hdmi audio on a high def tv would not want to do this IF they wanted to use the hdmi cable.
Until ATI fixes this problem with their XP drivers,I would say just connect to a high def or LCD tv with the hdmi and use pc speakers.
I am not sure if the hdmi audio works on Vista or windows 7 using the hdmi cable on an LCD TV.

I have the exact same problem. I bought the ATI Radeon HD 4650 card and installed the catalyst that came with it. After that all my sounds stopped working. I disabled the ATI HDMI Audio driver from the Device Manager list like you did but still no sound. My old Realtek driver isn't even listed on that. So I'm guessing I hear no sound because I have no driver installed. But, I tried downloading various Realtek drivers but everytime I install and restart they are never listed. Can anyone help please?
August 19, 2009 8:41:00 PM

Try downloading the new 9.8 drivers from ATI's driver page on AMD website. You can also individually download the hdmi driver there also.
Here's the link for xp hdmi drivers. Notice that you have to install step 1 if you have Service Pack 2 or earlier on xp.If you have Service Pack 3 just download and install Step 2 on this page ---> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/hdmiaudio-xp

I haven't heard or seen the Realtek Drivers dissapearing from Device Manager. I did not have that problem,just that the HDMI drivers were blocking my Realtek drivers from working.The new drivers seemed to work until I restarted my computer,which afterwards I had no audio for my videos or mp3's that I play off my harddrive.
So it seems 9.8 drivers the problem has not been fixed for XP.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2009 1:13:19 AM

Hi guys,

Don't waste your time, if you don't use "HDMI" this feature is pointless, do this to get your sound back:
Restart your system

go to bios
onboard Audio
Set it to Enable (not auto). To force your sound card.
Restart

Done.
Good luck!!!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2009 1:15:36 AM

Dunderal said:
I have the exact same problem. I bought the ATI Radeon HD 4650 card and installed the catalyst that came with it. After that all my sounds stopped working. I disabled the ATI HDMI Audio driver from the Device Manager list like you did but still no sound. My old Realtek driver isn't even listed on that. So I'm guessing I hear no sound because I have no driver installed. But, I tried downloading various Realtek drivers but everytime I install and restart they are never listed. Can anyone help please?

Hi,
Don't waste your time, if you don't use "HDMI" this feature is pointless, do this to get your sound back:
Restart your system

go to bios
onboard Audio
Restart

Done.
Good luck!!!
August 22, 2009 9:15:49 AM

Hi,

Doesn't work (Win XP SP3, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, HD 4870),
only disabling in Device Manager.

good luck!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2009 9:22:01 AM

Quote:
Hi guys,

Restart your system

go to bios
onboard Audio
Restart

Done.
Good luck!!!

I had the same problem and figured out that your advise is only the way.
I may be able to buy a fancy HDMI monitor later and will try the device driver for my graphic card (ATI HD4350). Thanks.
October 24, 2009 12:45:27 PM

AK2236 said:

My problem is sort of the same. I have all other sound just not in game play. I have bought the 4760 1g and installed it on my pc, I have installed the catalyst from gigabytes website and it is working great in game play BUT there is NO sound. I tried my media player and my stored music works perfectly. My question to you, do you think if I download the above sound driver that I will have game play sound and be able to have sound to all my music and video files stored in the pc?
December 28, 2009 11:13:57 PM

I've just finished a complete system reinstall and eventho using the same card, now i don't have any sound unless i uninstall ATI driver. this was not the case before the install. only difference between this time and the last is this time i've installed everything fresh and last time i've switched from an NVidia to ATI midway. if this helps understanding the problem to whoever...
the solution to enable the on-board audio chip is no good in my case as i have an RME professional sound card which is what i use. so essentially allowing the on-board chip to exist will null it just the same.
I may be wrong but i think this ATI audio terrorist is practically sitting on the IRQ usually dedicated to my RME card. so i'm basically stuck now between two audio drivers i can't allow, when one of which i can't remove is blocking my sound. btw, not only WMP is affected but my games as well.
halp!! :pt1cable: 
January 7, 2010 2:07:57 AM

soulmuseek said:
I've just finished a complete system reinstall and eventho using the same card, now i don't have any sound unless i uninstall ATI driver. this was not the case before the install. only difference between this time and the last is this time i've installed everything fresh and last time i've switched from an NVidia to ATI midway. if this helps understanding the problem to whoever...
the solution to enable the on-board audio chip is no good in my case as i have an RME professional sound card which is what i use. so essentially allowing the on-board chip to exist will null it just the same.
I may be wrong but i think this ATI audio terrorist is practically sitting on the IRQ usually dedicated to my RME card. so i'm basically stuck now between two audio drivers i can't allow, when one of which i can't remove is blocking my sound. btw, not only WMP is affected but my games as well.
halp!! :pt1cable: 

I am having the exact same issue. I have the Emu 1820M Audio system as my main audio interface used for audio recording and mixing ( A Damn good system with High grade converters) I just recently installed the ATI HD 4350 so that I could use a 32 inch lcd as my monitor. The card works great with the monitor hooked up HDMI but for whatever reason I have no sound coming from my Emu soundcard, the Audio Dock is not even receiving power, and when I try to re-install the drivers it is not finding the device(EMU) on my computer. I tried both of the above methods as previously mentioned (bios force and disabling ati audio driver) and neither of these worked. I have searched the internet now for about 2 hours and have come up with a lot of this issue, but no resolution. Anyone??

3.2 pentium 4
4GB of RAM
500W power supply
audio card- Emu 1820M and audio dock
Video Card- ATI HD 4350
XP Professional
January 7, 2010 7:26:26 AM

I was able to solve my problem.
I've done it by uninstalling the ATI. disabling and "uninstalling" the high definition device from device manager.
Unpluged the RME firewire cable from the computer and booted. i let the system run without both and then i shut it down again and reconnected the RME cable.
Windows found a new hardware and i let it install my RME drivers.
once the system was emitting audio and the all my RME's functionalities and settings were accessible and done i installed the ATI driver again.
once installed i went to Control Panel / Sounds and Audio devices and made sure my RME was still "in change" :lol:  rebooted.
and checked again. it was all good.
Now in your case i'm not sure what to you tell you. you want your ATI's device to actually work along side your EMU. ,...i'm just not at all sure that is possible. i think it's either or.
Just for the sake of it...see how your 32" LCD works without the ATI in charge of audio. it is a screen and not a surround system, i believe it should work great.

Hope this helpes you.
January 8, 2010 12:15:05 AM

soulmuseek said:
I was able to solve my problem.
I've done it by uninstalling the ATI. disabling and "uninstalling" the high definition device from device manager.
Unpluged the RME firewire cable from the computer and booted. i let the system run without both and then i shut it down again and reconnected the RME cable.
Windows found a new hardware and i let it install my RME drivers.
once the system was emitting audio and the all my RME's functionalities and settings were accessible and done i installed the ATI driver again.
once installed i went to Control Panel / Sounds and Audio devices and made sure my RME was still "in change" :lol:  rebooted.
and checked again. it was all good.
Now in your case i'm not sure what to you tell you. you want your ATI's device to actually work along side your EMU. ,...i'm just not at all sure that is possible. i think it's either or.
Just for the sake of it...see how your 32" LCD works without the ATI in charge of audio. it is a screen and not a surround system, i believe it should work great.

Hope this helpes you.

Thank you Soulmuseek for posting your solution...I will try it this weekend when I have more time and let you know if it works. Overall I can care less about audio out of the Magnavox 32", the speakers are horrid, so I won't mind losing the audio thru HDMI in the least...It would be nice to have both but overall my event asp8s with the 32" is all i need...

ps, what type of music genre's do you work with? I mainly focus on Hiphop/rap and audio for radio commercials, mostly a vocal tracking studio with main focus on mixing and mastering...

anyhow, thank you

Pistol Pete Engineer
January 22, 2010 4:54:04 PM

I have my Radeon HD 4890 hooked up to my TV via HDMI cable and it's not playing any sound. I bought this videocard specifically to use it as video with audio through HDMI because I want the convenience of controlling volume with my remote.

When I go to the audio settings to select the ATI HD Audio option, I can't because it says it's not connected. How is this possible? I thought that was through the HDMI port. What can I do so it detects it as connected?
January 22, 2010 6:51:12 PM

see that your motherboard doesn't have an on-board audio. you can verify that by rebooting and going into your BIOS.
check - disable onboard audio (or however it's called in your interface.)
then see how that works. make sure it's set in your control panel / audio settings
January 23, 2010 12:37:37 AM

Well Soulmuseek, I completely unintalled all of my EMU drivers and the patchmix software, powered down and removed the cards. I rebooted and unstalled all of the ATI drivers and files and again rebooted. I then re-installed all of the EMU software and re-installed the audio cards and this time when I re-booted the cards were recognized. I then installed the ATI files from the installation disk and when the option for audio thru HDMI came up I de-selected this option and continued with the install. Now everything is working except for my ASIO drivers and testing which I plan on figuring out this weekend but so far my audio works both thru my TV (via HDMI) and I can switch it to the EMu card just as easy as opening up audio properties and selecting the output card. Thank you for your suggestions and I will let you know what works with the ASIO settings and installation.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 4:25:17 PM

This was a quick easy solution I found no where else.

ACER ASPIRE 4540 HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT NOT WORKING RUNNING WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

AFTER REPEATED INTERNET SEARCHING AND CONTACTING ACER STILL NO RESOLUTION, THIS WAS THE FIX.

I had no evidence in sound devices in Control Panel of any HDMI box to select. I did have the Realtek Driver for HDMI audio showing in system hardware.

I have the ATI Radeon HD4200 graphics adapter. It is suggested that you download the latest driver for your video card.
For Windows XP click on Start at the left bottom of the desktop, then select Control Panel.
Select the Icon which is titled Realtek Sound Effect Manager and click on the icon.
You will see a control section come up for both Input and Output sections. The output section is on the top. Right under microphone and audio output in the top right hand corner you will see a drop down arrow box. Mine shows two selections.

Realtek HD Audio Output
Realtek HDA HDMI Out
5. Just select Realtek HDA HDMI Out. That’s it. You can now exit and the HDMI audio out put should work.

NOTE TO REMEMBER TO RETURN AND CHECK REALTEK HD AUDIO OUTPUT TO HAVE SPEAKER OUTPUT AT COMPUTER AND HEADPHONE OUTPUT.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2010 10:46:46 AM

Well, I didn't even know I could deliver sound from my ati 4850 to my HDTV trough the HDMI cable until right now, reading the forum... lol.

I installed the latest drivers on my computer for the video card and then noticed that now I only had sound trough my tv... not my speakers... I run a clone image on my monitor and my tv.

Any who, I don't think I can use both outputs at the same time, so its either my tv or the pc speakers... but I figured out that its pretty easy to select one or the other...

On my windows XP computer I just go to control panel, sounds and audio devices, go to the tab that says Audio and at the bottom check "use only default devices" now on the sound playback you can select the output device. So just select which one you want to use and apply... I hope this helped somebody
!