Sign in with
Your question

Asus Rampage II Extreme /w CM V10

Last response: in Overclocking
March 16, 2010 12:14:16 PM

Hey folks,

Six months back I made a gaming rig but at the time didn't have enough cash to pop on a decent heatsink. So I opted to run the stock cooler on a slightly overclocked I7 920 now running @ 3.2 . But now its time to ditch the stock for something better and up my OC.

So I am wondering if I will have enough clearance in fitting a CoolerMaster V10 on my Asus Rampage II Extreme as I have seen from pictures it seems that it gets in the way of the DIMM slots. And as I am running 3 Sticks of Corsair Dominators their heat spreaders are quite bulky.

The rig consists of the following:

Antec 1200 Case
Intel Core i7 - 920 oced@3.2 - C0 Stepping
3x2GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator
ATI HD Radeon x2 4870
2x WD 250GB Raid 0
Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
Corsair 1000HX PSU

As for the performance of the V10, I've done a background check so I don't need alternatives. As the access to LGA1366 socket Heatsinks in my area is extremely limited. So I just need to know if its gonna fit and if my mem sticks have enough clearance.

And I am positive I got enough juice to back up the V10. Any feedback would be appreciated.
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 12:19:04 PM

The memory slots closest to the cpu socket will be a problem. The extra tall memory modules with the heatspreaders that look sort look like a comb will interfere with the cpu heatsink and fan.
m
l
March 16, 2010 12:22:34 PM

Thanks for the reply Johnny. So how many DIMM slots will be covered by the Heatsink? All of them or the first two slots? If it just covers 1 slot thats not a problem as they are on 2 4 6.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 1:21:25 PM

The V10 is a hybrid cooler with an odd configuration. The large horizontal 120mm fan covers the memory modules completely. Here is a link to a technical review with a few photos and installation tips:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

Here's a link to another technical review with better photos of what the beast looks like. If you scroll down you'll see the horizontal fan covers all of the memory banks on the motherboard:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_v10/2.htm
m
l
March 16, 2010 2:03:01 PM

Whoa, Those photos put me in perspective. I guess its not a question of how many DIMM slots are covered but how much height clearance I have.

Then the Heat spreaders are surely going to cause problems, especially the ones on the Corsair as they extend quite a bit.
m
l
!