Micro ATX for Phenom II X3: Gigabyte or Biostar

Crsteven

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
ME
I'm looking at building my first custom computer, I will be housing it in my recently acquired Antec Mini P180 white ($70 from Newegg), with a 430W Antec Neopower HE PSU. I plan on getting a Phenom II X3 720 Black edition processor, but am having difficulty deciding the motherboard(has to be Micro-ATX for case). I'm not terribly concerned about OC capabilities since the processor is unlocked, though I will be using hybrid crossfire at first (integrated GPU w/ 3450) until the 4870 X2 comes down or I save up. Now, the mobo's I'm looking at are both $95:

The Boards
Biostar TA790GX XEhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138140

Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2Hhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128341

The Problem
The Biostar isn't a major brand (from what I gather), lacking Gigabyte's reliability, although the Biostar board has better reviews on Newegg (less reviewers though). However, for the same price, Biostar has 790GX/SB750 against Gigabyte's 780G/SB700. AMD claims 1.8x hybrid crossfire w/ the GX, 1.5x with the G. A big difference? Both have 128MB Sideport DDR3 memory, and all else seems roughly equal to me. Which to choose, and why? Thanks alot!

edit: If it matters, this will be a do-everything computer: tons of office work, Media Center stuff, some Photo/Video editing, and light gaming (will ramp up once Starcraft 2 hits shelves and ruins my life)

pat

Expert
I own a Biostar motherboard, and I'm not affraid about their reliability. Fact is.. I ran lot of low end board like ECS, lot of midrange ones, like the now defunct Soltek and this Biostar, and some high end motherboard like Asus.. and the only one that failed was an Asus..

I would go for the Biostar, as the Phenom will feel more at home with the 790gx chipst.

royalcrown

Distinguished
I JUST GAVE A FRIEND A BIOSTAR MA-780G MATX MOBO THAT I HAD USED FOR A YEAR AND IT WAS ROCH STABLE AND ACTUALLY MORE RESPONSIVE AND LESS TEMPERAMENTAL THAN MY GIGABYTE BOARD GA-EP45-UDR3. sorry for the caps !

royalcrown

Distinguished
oops, mine was the TA-780g, go for it...it's stable as all heck even with 8 gigs in it. I ran 4 sticks of ddr2 1.8v. likes mushkin even tho they are not on the list. Also a plus is that those boards have memtest 86= built in and auto overclocking if you wanna try it. Just set your level of oc and let the board do it for you (nice for a occing newbie). I switched to an e8500 or i'd still be running that board forever, it's trouble free !