Putting old HDs into ne computer

bobru

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I have a Dell Precision Workstation 360 with Windows XP. I want to take the HD out and put them into my new custom built PC, which also has Win XP on the HD. In the old computer, I have the programs on the C drive and my documents on the 2nd HD. I use Carbonite to back up the system...what is the best way to get the 2 old HDs into the new computer? :whistle:

andrewpdx

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

I'm guessing that the old hard drives are PATA (IDE) type drives and that your new system will have SATA drive ports AND possibly a PATA port (flat ribbon cable, one channel, two drives). If your new motherboard does not in fact have a PATA connector at all, then you can't directly plug the old drives into the new motherboard - you'd need to add an adapter or a PATA card.

If your new computer has a DVD drive that has the old flat ribbon cable and is using the PATA port, you wouldn't be able to attach both old drives to the new computer - maybe one or the other - without adding a PATA card or adapter.

If by chance your old drives are SATA, then you could just plug them right into the new computer's SATA ports.

Once you've physically plugged the drives in, they should appear new drive letters - the D: or E: or something. You will be able to access them as storage or access old files on them. You won't be able to run the software from the old drives on your new computer, though. And you most likely will be unable to boot the old C: either.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with old PATA drives from an old computer - new SATA drives are huge and cheap. I'd copy your files off the old drives either to the new SATA drive in your new computer or just buy a second SATA drive.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
If you are thinking of using XP that was on your old Dell, forget it, it won't work you will need purchase a new OS if the computer doesn't have one. If it have an OS on it you will need to reinstall all your programs, they won't run off the old drive.