Sign in with
Your question

Random Lock-ups with 9800gtx+

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2008 1:49:29 PM

Hi all,

I recently purchased my XFX 9800GTX+ and am having issues with random locks like many people have been describing on here and on the NVIDIA forums. I can go back to my old 7900gs and never experience one lock up but as soon as I plug in the 9800 my computer will lock up while I'm using it. The lock-ups are not limited to in game either most of the time I will be running a virus scan or downloading updates for steam games when the lock-ups occur. It only appears to happen when there is a lot of data access which is why I feel it may not even be the card. I have checked everything in my system and the only thing other than the video card that I have found that may be the culprit is my ram. Using CPU-Z I have found that my motherboard has set the timings and voltage to there default values for the mobo so I'm wondering if that could cause problems as they don't match the rams voltage and timings?...

Some of my system specs (sorry I don't have more I'm on a work computer right now but can provide more once I'm home)

CPU: AMD - X2 5400+ @ 2.8GHz (Not overclocked)

Memory: CORSAIR - XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)
- Timings and voltage reported by cpu-z: 5-5-5-18, 1.8v
- Timings listed for ram: 4-4-4-12, 1.9v

Video Card: XFX - PVT98WYDFH GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Motherboard: Asrock - ALiveSATA2-GLAN

Any more information you need please let me know and I will be happy to provide.
December 9, 2008 1:55:23 PM

And I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I just posted it here since the lock-ups only occur when I switch my video card
December 10, 2008 4:58:02 PM

What driver are you using? If you're using 180.48 I recommend uninstalling and trying the previous driver, 178.24(i think).

I had many hard locks when playing WAR and L4D with my 8800 GT cards and once i went back to 178.24 everything was fine.
Related resources
December 10, 2008 5:18:08 PM

Currently I'm running the latest Nvidia driver (and yes I went through the whole process for proper driver upgrade) and yes I have gone back to the old driver and noticed less lockups in the past. I adjusted my memory settings last night with the latest driver and it seems to have also helped with them so tonight I will downgrade my driver and see how things go with the old driver and fixed memory speeds.
December 10, 2008 10:15:16 PM

Well, I have two 9800 gx2s, they run pretty hot.

Ive had some lockups, but fixed it by using rivatuner to force 100% fan speed, loud though.

I would run prime 95 and see, if you don't freeze with prime 95, It may not be your mobo,cpu,and ram.

If you do lock up with prime 95, try memtest86.
!