Tualatin 1.3/100

G

Is it possible to upgrade ibm6862-310 with Tualatin 1.3/100 through MSI6905 2.3?

It might be possible. Starmicro has the 1.26 tuilatin cpu for only $6 plus shipping if you want to try. And pcworld has the msi converter card for $24.99. The board might post as "unknown cpu" but still might work. It all depends on the voltage setting of the msi card. I don't know much about them.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
If it's used as a router, a P2 450 would suffice.
The biggest issue on a slocket conversion like this is if the motherboard 1: has a VRM capable of delivering a low enough vcore and 2: has a VRM capable of handling the amperage. For example, my old Dell Dimension XPS R450 will boot with a 1.3GHz Taulatin Celeron on a slocket adapter, but the single phase VRM soon jolts up to 80-90 degrees Celsius (I'm talking in a matter of a couple minutes), where it is highly likely to either burn itself up or simply desolder itself from the motherboard. Unfortunately, I've never gotten around to remedying the situation, so I continue to putt around with the P2 450. Oh well, with an ATI Rage128 pro and powerDVD 4 I am able to play DVDs without any lag, which is it's primary use, so I'm happy enough.