Sign in with
Your question

Will this work as a decent L4D server?

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2008 4:33:08 AM

Hello everyone, im into a game coming out soon called left for dead. My friends are getting the game too but the game isnt fun when the game sticks you all on some random server in mexico and it laggs like a ... laggy thing.
so i looked into server rentals, $30 a month, im wayy too cheap. so then i thought, i have my old core 2 duo 3ghz processor sitting around in a box, can i do something with it? so i was looking around the net and found this, Shuttle KPC K45.
Does anyone know if this will be fast enough to be a small server(L4d only has 4 players at a time)?
ps. I plan on putting 2 gb of ram in it...

Thanks
~vide0

More about : work decent l4d server

November 14, 2008 4:59:50 AM

You're kidding, right?

A 3.0 Ghz C2D is still basically top of the line.

Yes, that system will run a server. Your internet connection is going to be the real bottleneck.

Unless you want to run a dedicated server (unclear), I don't understand why you wouldn't run the server and game off the same computer.

Or just run the dedicated on your usual computer...

If you're so up on hardware and consider a 3.0Ghz C2D "old" (sure it is, but so is the Q6600) - then how do you not know about this stuff?

TROLL?
November 14, 2008 12:59:10 PM

for running a dedicated server, yes. Make sure you have enough ram and enough upload cap to accomodate 4 players and you'll be fine (you're looking at 5-10k/sec avg per player and obviously, the more hops in between you and them, the higher the ping).
Related resources
November 14, 2008 6:19:49 PM

Cheesevillage said:
You're kidding, right?

A 3.0 Ghz C2D is still basically top of the line.

Yes, that system will run a server. Your internet connection is going to be the real bottleneck.

Unless you want to run a dedicated server (unclear), I don't understand why you wouldn't run the server and game off the same computer.

Or just run the dedicated on your usual computer...

If you're so up on hardware and consider a 3.0Ghz C2D "old" (sure it is, but so is the Q6600) - then how do you not know about this stuff?

TROLL?

jeez, who pissed in your coffee?
first, my core 2 duo is "old" because it was the OLD processor from my rig...(actually have a Q6600 now).

second, i don't like to host from my computer because it lags badly when i'm host, I plan on putting this thing at my dad's house, he has fast internet and only uses it to check news and email sometimes.

and thanks antiacid for the support.

November 14, 2008 6:47:48 PM

vide0bug13 said:
so i looked into server rentals, $30 a month, im wayy too cheap

I take it you haven't taken into consideration power consumption of a self made server sitting at your home sucking up power through your outlets and, in turn, raising your electric bill...

Figure out how long your gonna be keeping the system on and how often it will be under full load.

The average cost of residential electricity is around 11¢/kWh. So if your PC consumed, on average, around 375 watts and you ran your machine 24 hours a day 7 days a week, your electric bill would be $30 a month.

November 15, 2008 1:27:23 PM

well,where my dads house is he doesn't have to pay electricity, he pays one flat bill for everything, except oil. so unless the computer runs on oil i'll be fine.
And I plan on running it full time.
November 16, 2008 9:30:21 PM

I use the same shuttle, but on a celeron chip and it seems to work ok, so you should be more than ok. Load up on RAM, and the faster the hard drive you can put in, the better. Also, those shuttles are pretty efficient on the power, and at least on my K45, it only has a 100 watt power supply.
November 26, 2008 2:14:26 PM

Two servers :

81.93.251.20:27015 / 81.93.251.20:27020 (Serveur left 4 dead mondialservers)

!