Sign in with
Your question

Question about fans on hyper tx3

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 6:08:32 PM

:hello:  Well I have decided to buy the hyper tx3 cooler for my i5 but I have a question(probably a dumb one :ange:  ).Well it says it has a 92mm fan with it.So would it be possible to use a 120mm fan with it.I know the 212 plus has one but as I said I prefer the tx3.So would a 120mm fan work on it.Also would it hurt the temps or would it improve them?
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 6:26:08 PM

Nope - The TX3 is too small in size to fit 120mm fans to it - you can add a second 90mm fan to it so that it is setup in a push pull config with one fan blowing into the heatsink and the other pulling from the other side ! - (the TX3 comes with the needed mounting brackets and screws for the second fan and 4 extra foam pieces to absorb the vibrations so all you need is an extra 90mm fan.)

As you can see here the 2 90mm fans fit fine but also notice how much larger the 120mm on the back of the case is and it would not fit properly on the heatsink (PS. yes I know the wiring is a mess just have not taken time to reorganize it yet !!)

a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 6:38:06 PM

Thanks.That was an informative answer.BTW,is that tx3 yours?What temps are you getting and what's your cpu?Thanks for everything.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 6:47:08 PM

BeCoolBro said:
Thanks.That was an informative answer.BTW,is that tx3 yours?What temps are you getting and what's your cpu?Thanks for everything.

Yes it is mine (cost me a whole $4.99 shipped from newegg !!) - I posted in your other thread also - I'm running an X3 720 Unlocked 4th core @ 3.2 GHz. and it idles at 35C and gets to 56C under prime95 testing using the included thermal paste (though that is the CPU temp sensor which on my Gigabyte MOBO runs about 8-10C above the individual Core temp sensors (the individual core temps no longer show a temp since I unlocked the 4th core but while running as an X3 it always had them showing right around 8-10c cooler (so the core temps would be about 27C idle and 48C stressed if they were still reporting correctly based on the testing prior to unlocking the 4th core)
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 6:50:40 PM

OK.Thanks for the reply.It seems as a great cooler for it's price.
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 6:56:55 PM

Yep - I'm very happy with it. compared to the temps I was getting on the system with the stock cooler ( 44C idle and 68C stressed @ 3.0 Ghz.) so it was able to drop the temps about 10C on idle and 12C under load even after bumping the speed up another 200mhz. which is a good bit of improvement over the stock AMD cooler.

Idle :

Under Prime95 :
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 7:16:33 PM

That's nice for a 8 euro cooler.Thanks for the data.
!