Internect Connection Disruption at Same time each night

Luxed111

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Hello,

I have a Linksys WRT54GL wireless g router and I keep losing my connection to the internet at a certain time frame the last few nights. I remain connected to router, but no internet connectivity (local only). I check another wireless device and it had the same problem. The problem resolves itself in about 1-2 hours, but internet transmission has been poor afterwards.

Some ideas I had specific to my case.
- Around this time my roommate goes to bed, setting a home alarm system. The modem/router are both located in the roommates bedroom. I dont think anything is being turned off those b/c the internet connection returns.

I have not updated the firmware for awhile on the router.

Do you think this is an ISP issue?

Thank you for your time
J

GoldenShadow

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Speaking as a cable service tech, I doubt you'll be able to get one of us to stay over all night in order to try and catch the problem. If the internet is going out because of your ISP. You will know for sure if you look at the modem's connectivity or sync LED, see if they are blinking or solid, or whatever they are supposed to be doing when its working normally.

If it is an ISP problem, I doubt it a problem a service tech would be able to correct by himself at your house, it would probably be a system problem. So ask your neighbors using the same ISP if they have similar issues with the internet going out at the certain hours of the night.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Thinking the same thing, maybe your router is open and you have no security on it,
Just maybe need to lock /block your router for being used. Go you the address bar and enter the IP address for your router.
If you don't know it then contact the service provider and they will help you with that and to block other IP address from other
network cards in your neighborhood. As well approve of your two IP addresses that you are using swtich would be your computer and your roommate's.

I hope I help a little :sol:

P.S the best way to get wireless signal is to store routers on high cabinet or such. or mount it up side down on a wall like a cafe or public library does.
I have done it and works excellent. To make sure you are between too many walls and metal

End of Line

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
You really need to get eyes on the modem when the problem is occuring. Given the fact that you are getting local access and the time of day it is occuring it seems very likely that the problem is beyond the router. Unless somebody has setup some really weird QoS or Access Restriction settings on the router.
More than likely, your going to find that the modem is showing no connectivity.