XP Slow Loading

I recently installed Norton AntiSpam and found my Windows
XP now loads alot slower than before. I uninstalled the
program, but the startup still ran slow. I suspect that
it left a program that slows down the startup.

What do I need to do to restore the original load?

I ran the Config Utility and looked through the Startup
area to uncheck programs that load, but was unsure of the
required programs. I know that sstray is required, but
didn't which others needed to be there. I want to try to
uncheck programs and load the programs selectively to
identify the unneeded slow-loading startup.

Thanks for your help.

Bill
2 answers Last reply
More about slow loading

    Try using System Restore to take you back to a time prior to when this
    began. Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

    If that doesn't resolve it, check www.symantec.com for full removal
    instructions or contact their tech support.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Bill Burns" <numcruncher@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    >I recently installed Norton AntiSpam and found my Windows
    > XP now loads alot slower than before. I uninstalled the
    > program, but the startup still ran slow. I suspect that
    > it left a program that slows down the startup.
    >
    > What do I need to do to restore the original load?
    >
    > I ran the Config Utility and looked through the Startup
    > area to uncheck programs that load, but was unsure of the
    > required programs. I know that sstray is required, but
    > didn't which others needed to be there. I want to try to
    > uncheck programs and load the programs selectively to
    > identify the unneeded slow-loading startup.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Bill
  2. This program fixed my problem:

    Copied from the Cablenut web page

    CableNut Software ( 100 % Free)

    http://www.cablenut.com/

    Dialup, Cable, and DSL connections are supported.

    CableNut is a tool for optimizing your Windows TCP/IP stack i.e. your Internet Connection. We have provided a way to tweak almost every possible TCP registry entry via the CableNut program. You can load "CableNut Custom Setting" files that are included with the program to tweak your Internet connection. You can make your own "CableNut Custom Setting" files save them for later use, or distribute them to anyone with the CableNut program.

Configuration Windows XP