8800GT no POST and monitor says no input

BladedEx

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I came into possession of an XFX 8800GT 256MB pretty much like this recently, but it wouldn't work with my stock 250W PSU. Today I received my shiny new Thermaltake ToughPower 600W PSU.

I swap out the old for the new and swap out my stock nVidia 8400GS for the 8800GT. Double check all the connections are tight and the 6 pin power cable is connected and the card is seated nicely.......aaaaand nothing. Screen stays blank (off in fact), the fans all start up but there is no beep from the MoBo (no POST iirc). So I switch it back off and triple check all connections are solid, again, no dice. So I take out the 8800 and put back the 8400, and Bingo. Works again. It then occurred that I hadn't removed the old drivers (doh!) so it did that, put the 8800GT back in and hey presto....nothing once again.

Now I'm thinking my mobo isn't compatible or something....heres the website for my pc and the mobo info....so am I missing something? Its not PCI-E 2.0 but it was my understanding this wasn't an issue as PCI 2 cards are backwards compatible. I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff. If this card wont work with this PC what cards would you suggest that would as I'm willing to change the one I have? Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Specs:
E4500 core 2 duo 2.2
2GB DDR2 553
Vista Home Prem
Mobe = Foxconn CN15235 (i think :??: )

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
well.. i was installing the exact same card, with the exact same ram, ddr2 pc4200, and it turned out it was the ram not being fast enough.. get some ddr2 pc6400 2gb kit for about $20-40.. I'm about 100% sure that's your problem :)

BladedEx

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

Hmm, ram never crossed my mind...would that cause the no POST beep at start up? Ive been looking to upgrade my ram anyway so it cant hurt to try i guess. Do you have any good links? What did you get for yourself?

Plankton12

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Hi, BladedEx

So if I understand you correctly the system was working fine UNTIL you put in the new video card. Does the system still work with the old video card, the 8400? My first guess is there is a problem with the video card since it was the most recent change and if the RAM were an issue wouldn't it have caused problems before the gpu upgrade? When you said it wouldn't work with your 250W PSU did you mean the system still posted but ultimately crashed or you got the same problem you have now, no posting?

BladedEx

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

It was ok until the new video card went in yes. Its ok again with old one in too. With the 250w PSU it wasn't posting either, I assumed (seemingly incorrectly) it was because of a lack of juice going to the card.