Q6600
gigabyte p45
powercolor 4850
750tx
corsair 4gb
antec 900
western digital 640gb
xigmatec s-1283 cooler

I built this computer tonight (first time building), followed a guide step by step, had an anti-static wrist strap on, and checked and double checked connections, but when i went to turn on the psu, absolutely nothing happened. no fans moved, no lights came on, nadda. maybe there's something simple that i might have missed as a first-time builder? or is it a faulty psu? i read up on the jump-trick so i'll give that a shot tomorrow, but if there's anything you all can suggest to help me fix this problem, i would really appreciate the help! i spent too much time and money for this custom-build to not work....

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Check your switch wires if they are correctly connected to the pins
Check your PSU with the jump-trick
Check your board - take out all the components - put in the cpu, ram and vga outside your case and test again. If it boots, then there is a short somewhere.

mouse29982

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
hmmm well a simple thing you might of f'ed up is the wire that goes from your motherboard to your case. It should be a 2 wire plug, one white or black and a coloured one. try to switch it around, like a 180.
see if that works out for you

turning on your PSU wont make your computer fans turn on, there might be a light that comes on your mother board that tells your the power is all good...

other then that your psu might be dead but i dont think that is the case seeing its new.

also try taking off your front panel to make sure the connections for your case power button are all good.

good luck

footsteps

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
thanks for the respones. as i said i'm new to this building computer business, but i really like it. now i'm going to ask some real stupid, "wtf n00b," "omg kill urself now" questions:

1) on my antec 900, there are a ton of fans. on my mobo there are pins to connect the fan connections too, but the connections between the two are different. i know the fans require power and i can connect them to my psu, but am i to connect them to the mobo too then? i checked the manual for my mobo and it says the fans should directly connect to the mobo but again the connections are different.

2) now that i think about it, i probably did eff up my connections. on the mobo manual it says to match up the reset, power, and led wires to the mobo and match up the +/-. it doesn't distinguish which is +/- on the wires, but it does have likea triangle shape on one side; is that the + side?

3) my cable management is horrible! the 750tx has so many freaking wires and i'm finding trouble to hide them. my question is, is it bad that some wires might be slightly leaning down on some of my peripherals, like my video card for instance?

4) my antec 900 had spacers built in already to the case, so i didn't have to set out the spacers. is this common for cases to do? or were these not spacers and i effed up my mobo from the start?

5) how durable is a mobo and video card in reality? there might have been some instances i wasn't too gentle... but nothing too extreme.

thanks a lot everyone, i really appreciate. please take it easy on me about my questions!