Sign in with
Your question

AMD cooling.

Last response: in Overclocking
March 16, 2010 7:55:50 PM

First off I want to replace the stock cooling on my Phenom II x4 920. I have it overclocked to 3.2ghz with the stock cooling, but I want to go higher. Also I want to get a new PSU, because mine I have right now is only 500watt, cheapy. I had to buy this cause my 750watt one blew up on me. So the 500 watt one is just a replacement. I would like to know what you guys recommend for cooling my phenom, I'm pretty sure is AM2 socket; also, a good PSU. I want to get all this for 155$ or less.

Thanks guys.

More about : amd cooling

March 16, 2010 7:57:22 PM

Oh and I have a CM storm sniper case, just so you guys know what size of a cooler I can handle, I think I can handle any size. It says Mid case, but I'm pretty sure is a full size.
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 11:11:35 PM

The Storm Sniper is an excellent case. It can easily accomodate any of the 160mm tall, tower style cpu heatsinks.

Here is a link to a very good web site with more useful information about cpu heatsinks that will help you make an informed decision:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can use the Google embedded search feature at the web site to find more information about heatsinks for specific cpu sockets.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty.
!