Sign in with
Your question

Heatsink clearance concerns

Last response: in Overclocking
March 16, 2010 9:34:10 PM

I am going to pick up a new heat sink for my build and I am worried it will hit my GSKILL Ripjaws heat sink. I have all 4 DIM's populated (8G) The board it's self is an Crosshair III Formula.

I have been looking at several heat sinks (listed below) but I cant decide because as stated I don't know if they will clear my ram. I am hoping some of you that have experience with the coolers can help me, Thanks

1) Noctua NH-U12P SE2
2) CM Hyper N620
3) Thermalright ULTRA-120 Trueblack REV.C 6
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 11:08:22 PM

The problem is usually the memory module closest to the cpu socket. The extra tall memory heatspreaders that look like a comb will interfere with tower style cpu heatsinks such as those you mentioned.
March 17, 2010 1:54:49 AM

ya that is the sad part all the good coolers are massive and cause issues with the ram...you think some one would come up with one to clear them
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2010 2:34:00 AM

Tom's Hardware has published articles about memory that include a comment about those tall heatspreaders. They are not what they are cracked up to be. Their ability to improve memory cooling is questionable. Consider them an advertising gimmick. THG has suggested that memory modules with no heatspreaders can stay just as cool. I'm guessing it might be because the cpu heatsinks pull air across the memory modules.
March 18, 2010 8:00:59 AM

Ya but I think I found a solution in the corsair H50 cooling "unit" I would call it as apposed to a heat sink
a b K Overclocking
March 18, 2010 5:58:57 PM

Good move, I was going to suggest that H50 if you have a place for the radiator.
March 19, 2010 6:38:06 AM

Oh I have lots of places of rads I have a CM "Storm Sniper Black ed" which by the way is the best case I have worked on and owned... anyone looking for a case for an upcoming build look no further.

No I don't work for CM just saying :lol: 

March 19, 2010 8:28:55 AM

Rakivic said:
Oh I have lots of places of rads I have a CM "Storm Sniper Black ed" which by the way is the best case I have worked on and owned... anyone looking for a case for an upcoming build look no further.

No I don't work for CM just saying :lol: 

Hes right, I love that case, its what I have (;
!