Sign in with
Your question

New Built System Won't Power On - Plz Help

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2008 12:28:50 PM

I have built a new system specs below it has powered on once the shutdown after about 5seconds. It does not turn on at all no LEDs, and the fans don't start to spin. I have a few questions...

-first what is required to be plugged in for a mobo to boot?
-I have a power supply with a 24pin connector and 8pin connector do i plug both in ?
-Do i need to have the case inputs Powere Switch, Message/Power/LED, and Reset HD LED plugged in to boot?

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

HIS Hightech H487F512P Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

More about : built system power plz

November 14, 2008 12:51:13 PM

1) the switch
2) yes you do
3) all you need is the power swtich - thats needed to power ur board. The led (power led) does help to see whats up with it

what psu are u using? whats the wattage? Pls dont tell me its the one that came with the case.. as those are cheap psu and wont be able to power your vga card. also check if you've plugged in the vga power connector.
November 14, 2008 12:56:38 PM

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Related resources
November 14, 2008 1:09:08 PM

Shutting down after 5 seconds could be an overheating problem. You could check your cpu fan. Where u cant boot at all again could be due to some mistakes in your build, like missing out some psu connectors somewhere. Hopefully you didn't damage anything on the first boot.
November 14, 2008 1:16:27 PM

Q1. You need the PSU, CPU and HSF, the power switch, and a small system speaker to hear the beeps. With just that, the POwerup Self Test (POST) will generate beeps indicating a memory failure.

Q2. Yes. Basically the 24 pin connector runs the motherboard and the 4 or 8 pin 12 volt connector runs the CPU.

Q3. All you need is the case power switch.

You have a much better than average PSU, but the PSU still could be bad.

November 14, 2008 1:33:49 PM

You also need to plug the 6pin and 6+2pin connectors into the HD 4870.
November 14, 2008 1:49:49 PM

If it turned on once, even for 5 seconds, and now won't turn on at all, that's not a good sign. Perhaps something shorted on the mobo, and it is now dead. It could also be that the PSU cut off and needs to be reset. Unplug the PSU for a minute or so and see if that makes a difference. While you're waiting, recheck your connections, and make sure there are no loose screws, bits of wire, or other FOD loose in your system.
November 14, 2008 4:56:18 PM

I think i am just going to RMA the board b/c it does not seem to want to boot
November 14, 2008 5:23:09 PM

What about your old system? Can you test any components in that. The power supply maybe? Or perhaps you could pull the powersupply out of your old computer and try it in your new computer. Like jsc said, you only need the cpu with fan, 24 pin connector, 4/8 pin cpu connector and the power switch connector from your case to get the motherboard to post. I would rule out the psu before I RMA the motherboard.

If you don't have other components available to you, disconnect all drives (both from the mobo and the psu), take out all memory, and take out the video card and try again. Just to be sure.

*EDIT*
If you're really feeling ambitious, search the net for instructions on which two pins to short to turn on the psu manually. Ofcourse you would do this with the psu outside the case and not connected to anything.
November 15, 2008 2:41:09 AM

Its not the PSU tested it without another mobo works fine.
November 15, 2008 4:08:46 AM

Well, at least we eliminated that. Down to the cpu or mobo.
!