How long should I run a stress test?

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I just got a 4870, and I want to test it out, and maybe change the fan speed.
What is a stress test that is good, and how long should I run it ( and settings too maybe)
Also, I don't currently have a tester, so could someone recommend one?

leo2kp

Distinguished
I don't know of any free video-card benchmarks that will allow you to run it for hours, but you could purchase the basic version of 3DMark 06 (XP) or Vantage (Vista) and loop it for a good 8+ hours.

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
but what about if I just want to put my card on load and see the temp?
Then what should I use. Also, I don't really want to run it for too long. Just an hour or so would probably do

ipoopfool

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I can just change the fan in catalyst. Well, all i really want to do is to put a load on my card and soo how hot it runs.
How about this, how about I play a game in windowed mode, would that work and put a big load on my card?

Before running any tests download and install Rivatuner and use it to keep an eye on the temperatures. DO NOT benchmark a HD4870 without this safeguard in place!
The most savage test (graphics) I know of is Furmark (google it) or Folding@home.
You can change fanspeeds through either Rivatuner or the CCC by unlocking the `Overdrive` feature and setting a fanspeed there.
For normal gaming use I find 35% to be about right but for extended testing, 45% might be reguarded as `minimum safe`
The card can run at over 110C but it`s an expensive item to fry so I`d say anything over 90C is too much, but no cause for panic.