Which ddr3 ram? (noob here)

roadkillfever

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Hi guys,

Just want to say first off...sorry for the completely noob question :na:
I've been lookng at guide after guide on ram (including the sticky in this forum) and it's just going straight over my head...i'm going to have to get someone to sit down and talk me through it all

Anyways, I'm currently putting together a spec for an i7 computer (first time builder, as well), and i've become stuck at RAM....all my other components are sorted (got a thread going in new builds section...but thought it would be better to ask a question specifically about ram here).

I'm going to be using a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboard with a Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Processor. I'll also be having a go at overclocking the system.

When looking for the ram, someone suggested:
OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Gold (3x2GB) Triple Channel DDR3 (£114.99)

I decided to have a quick look at other models, and noticed this was the same price:
OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Platinum (3x2GB) Triple Channel DDR3 (114.99)

Then the next day, the store announced it was stocking these:
OCZ 6GB 1800MHz DDR3 PC3-14400 (3 X 2GB) Reaper Low Voltage Tri-Channel Kit (£111.99)

So my question is basically, which one is best for me? Or is there better ram out there for about the same price? (told you it was a noob question! :lol: )

I'd appreciate any help you could give at all...as soon as the ram's been sorted out, I can start buying in the components.

Also, if you could also add a little comment to explain why the chosen ram is a better as well, so I can learn what to look for next time...it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

roadkillfever

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
.....what the hell???

Just looked at your link there, bpogdowz. unfortunately, i live in UK...so no newegg for me :(

However, i took the model number...and searched it in the ocuk website (where the ram I stated are from) and it came out with the 1333 MHz platinum from my list :??:

So does the OCUK website have the wrong details in the title and description??? or does it have the wrong manufacturer code???

TRENDING THREADS