angevil

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Hi need some feedbacks.

I have an old system.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2ghz 939-pin
1gb ram
xfx 6600gt graphics agp8x

I am thinking of holding on to my old processor and change the mobo and and the rest of the stuff. "upgrade" the old system. Do you think it is worth it?

Would love some feedbacks. Thank you.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
You are in about the same boat as me with my old PC.

I think I would just start over and use the old PC for a file server/guest PC

;)

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Unfortunately for you socket 939 is a dead end. If you change your motherboard you might as well change cpu also. What is your upgrade budget ? Knowing that we can give you suggestions on what you should upgrade to. And also you could list what you have right now to see if anything worthy can be salvaged.

I agree with cah027. That old single-core processor is a mutt. I didn't even see any S939 mobos listed on Newegg. You would not need to spend a lot of money to leave that system in the dust.

Well, I think the best CPU you can get for the 939 is a 4800+ X2. You could always go for one of those weird AsRock boards that allow you to upgrade the socket with a daughter card and have both an AGP and a PCI-E slot. Personally I think you should upgrade to socket AM2 and get a decent crossfire board, Athlon 5000, 5200, or 5400 BE, 4GB of DDR2 800, and a Radeon 4830. Assuming you still have a decent PSU, case, HD, and optical drives, that setup should run you a little over $300 and be alot better than what you have.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I agree with other posters. New system is probably your best plan. List out your entire system and the amount of money you have allocated for buying parts. From that we will be able to narrow down your options and choice of parts a bit better.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
you won't get very far by upgrading that rig. you could start from scratch with a budget AM2 cpu+2GB DDR2+780G motherboard for around $150-200. and that kind of build would allow you to get a modern gpu, like any of the GTX200 or radeon 4800 series cards.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Just copy the list below and plug in what you need in the corresponding spot. Post your budget as well and this will help. If there's something in there that you already have, just put "not needed"

Platform: (pick one) Intel - AMD

Purpose: what you're using this machine for

Budget:

Case:
Power Supply:
Motherboard:
CPU:
Fan/Heatsink:
Memory:
Video Card:
Sound Card:
Hard Drive:
DVD/CD Drive:

OPTIONAL

Mouse:
Keyboard:
Speakers:
Monitor:

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I agree, I was in the same boat of trying to upgrade from an Athlon xp system, went to socket 939 when it was dead ending trying to save money on memory. Wish I wouldn't have. Glad now that I'm up to socket am2.

rammar16

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
ya i had the same problem with my last build.....

you will do just as well to start over and use the old comp to back stuff up or something like that

the good news is that you can build something easily 2 or 3 times faster for not much money...

i would say 600 to 1000 depending on your budget and you can have a very capable rig

hope this helps it might not be the funnest thing to hear but a lot of the time it is true

angevil

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Thanks guys for the reply. by the looks of it. i might as well setup a whole new system. it is not really about budget but more on is it worth the time and money.

I guess i would just set up a new system. thinking of switching to intel C2D. Thanks again guys. appreciate the replies!

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Shop around man. Right now on newegg you can pick up a cheap AMD AM2 board for 50, get a 5000+ x2 for 66, and memory you can pick up 2 gb for 35 or so.

If you wanted a cheap video card, the 4670 should be decent for 80 bucks. This would not be as fast as an intel rig, but for 250 you could be up and running and have performance worlds better than what your current rig can do.

Actually, I just priced it and things were lower than I thought. The 5000+ is now 59 and free shipping, there's a pc chips mobo on newegg for 40 that people are saying is reliable for 40, found 2 gb of memory for 25 and the 4670 for 75. Total with shipping to me would be 211. Not bad.