BIOS versions question MA770-UD3

johnquest

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
My question is about Gigabyte BIOS versions generally. I recently built a computer using Gigabyte's MA770-UD3 motherboard. The company maintains a list of CPUs compatible with my board. I installed an AMD Phenom II 720 AM3 cpu that was on the list. The list also documented that I would need version F4 of the BIOS, which shipped with the board.

Everything setup fine but I had some trouble booting from CDROM, which I ironed out and flashed to version F5F of the Bios. The system is stable, but in checking my MB bios versions again and CPU list, now the list indicates that my CPU is compatible with the board if I'm using version F5H of the BIOS.

The company isn't making this version available to download, only F5F is available. And yet at other sites I can download F5H. Is it OK to download this version from one of these sites other than Gigabyte's? Why would Gigabyte list my CPU as compatible with a version of BIOS they themselves don't have available to download?

Confusing.

Mondoman

Splendid
Have you checked their "global" site? Sometimes companies have more up-to-date stuff on their global sites than on specific country/region sites.

Also, it's not unusual to have some errors in these CPU lists and other such docs on the sites.

is there an update tool on the cd that came with the motherboard? Iif there is you could run that in windows and see what it thinks is the latest version of the bios for your mobo

but just use it to check the version as it may not be a good idea to do a BIOS update within windows