Help choosing PSU for this i7 system (and if my current UPS is ok)

Asclepius89

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hello,

I've been planning since December a new PC to replace my current 2-year-old build.

Here're the components I've decided so far:

Case: Antec 1200 (without any of the optional fans)

Side-fan: Noctua NF-S12-800

CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 (2 fans)

Motherboard: eVGA X58 SLI 132-BL-E758-A1

CPU: Intel i7 920

GPU: eVGA GTX 295

Sound card: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

Memory - G.Skill 6GB (3x2GB) DDR 3 NQ PC3-12800C9 1600MHz

TV Tuner Card - PowerColor TV Wonder 600 Digital PCI Express

1 DVD Reader from LG + 1 DVD-R/RW Writer from LG (somewhere between 20x-24x)

Main HDD – 640 GB WD Caviar 7.2RPM SATAII 16MB

Secondary HDD - 320 GB WD Caviar 7.2RPM SATAII 16MB

OS - Vista Ultimate x64

For the PSU I was thinking on a Corsair HX-620W. I've been told it would be more than enough. But on other places I've read it might be pushed too hard, overheat and make noise. So which one would you recommend instead of that? Modular would be nice.

For the UPS I'm currently on a CyberPower OP-1000E - 700W. I'm keeping my old PC in a different room so I'm getting a new one in any case, but I'd like to know if I can buy the same one or do I need something with more capacity? At least for giving me 30 to 60 minutes before having to turn off the computer.

I've had a lot of trouble when I upgraded to my current PC, and I believe many of them were power-related, since they ceased when I decided to replace my PSU and get an UPS.

Thanks for your help :)

With a single 295 the HX620 should be fine, if you think you might want to add a second card in the future you're going to want to go with an 850 watt or higher.
Don't know if Newegg is an option for you but they sell the Antec 1200 with the Antec Signature 850 as a combo for $370, not a bad deal considering that buying them seperately would be $420.

Asclepius89

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

Thanks for the reply. Newegg is a nice website, but I just check it for user reviews, as it doesn't ship to my country :( . As for the SLI in the future I thought of perhaps doing it, but then I thought that by the time I would add a 2nd card a better one would be out, and it would just be better to replace the single card with a better single card, without (perhaps) not needing to change PSU.

My only problem with getting a PSU ready for SLi was the UPS problem. The PSU would probably be one of the recommended 1200W PSU on SLi Zone, Silverstone Decatlhon DA 1200 and that would probably make me have to get this 1500W UPS?

But the interesting thing is that I read this thread here, that seems to imply SilverStone didn't recommend that their 1000W PSU is plugged into a surge protector at all. Considering the UPS has surge protection it seems they are saying it's bad if I connect a Silverstone PSU to an UPS...?

Also maybe somewhat un-related but I have all the devices connected to a powerstrip (no other choice when I have to also power the phone, printers and modem router). However the PC I currently have is only about 500W. What will happen if I connect a 1200W PSU that is connected to a 1500 UPS connected to a powerstrip with all the other appliances? Any risks?

Thanks!

Most excellent choice! Corsair has a reputation for high quality power supplies. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a five year warranty. It's one of the brands often recommended by the veterans at this forum. With 60 amps on a large single 12 volt rail it won't have any problems handling two video cards operating in dual mode.