dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Hey everyone,

I'm pretty set now on getting the Zalman CNPS9700 heatsink:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019&Tpk=Zalman%20CNPS9700

Question is, do you guys recomend that I get anything else with it as well, it comes with its own retention bracket so I think I'm set. It should fit onto my Gigabyte 965P-DS3 motherboard right (which is socket 775)?

I have a container of Artic Silver 5 that is unopened and unused from 2.5 years ago, can I still use it without any problems? Or should I use the thermal compound that comes with the heatsink?

I'm getting this in preparation for starting to overclocking my system, I'd like to go from 2.4 to 3.0 Ghz I'm using a E6600 D2, this heatsink should be fine for that right?

Lastly, I'm running several CPU temperature monitoring software and the average temp I get among all of them is aroun 57-58 C, is that high for a system that is idleing or at normal usuage? Thanks all.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
i would recommend the Thermalright ultra 120 extreme CPU cooler(better than the Zalmans), as this will keep ur temps nice and low.
but if ur set on gettin the Zalman, then it is an efficient cooler, but there arebetter on the market nowadays.

using the AC silver 5 will be fine, as there is nothin to seperate or solidify, so go ahead and use it.

yes ur temps are high, u should be idling around 35c, socheck in the BIOS and adjust the V-core to stock (whatever the stock V-core is for the E6600) and watch the temps drop.
also what temp monitors were u usin.
is it the temps of the IHS or the cores, as the IHS is normally 10-20c higher than the cores.

if the V-core isnt that high, then u will require a better cooler (Thermalrights ultra 120), to allow the temps drop to a more managable area.

as for overclockin, u should be ableto overclock to 3.0 without too much V-core increase (hopefully), which shouldnt put too much strain on the CPU and temps.

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
@papa I'm using two programs, Real Temp 3.0 gives me temperatures of 58 and 59 C with Distance to TJ max at 31 and 32. Speed Fan 4.37 tells me that my "Temp 1 36 C" Temp 2: 40C, Temp 3 -1C, Core 0 56 C, Core 1 52 C, Core 59C, does this still indicate a hot CPU?

@everyone, with mp particular mobo with a FSB of 1066 can I technically clock to 3.0 GHz using the E6600?

Mondoman

Splendid
The 50-something numbers are the ones to be looking at; by far the #1 cause of such elevated temps is a not-quite-fully-seated CPU cooler. The poorly designed Intel 4-pin system is VERY easy to not-quite-fully seat. Among other things, the MB needs to be OUT of the case when you install the cooler, so you can support the back of the MB as you push through the pins, and so you can visually verify that each pin is completely through. Here are detailed instructions w/tips on how to install the cooler properly (start at step 2.5): http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/194385-31-part-assembly#t1184072