Stock heatsink intel fan or out of the market heatsink fan

dennis2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
My computer is almost done. I just have this question about heatsink fans. Since I'm not doing any overclocking on my rig. Is it advisable to discard the stock Intel heatsink fan that came with my core I5-750 processor? Do I need to purchase a different heatsink fan for my cpu? I was at Frys earlier tonight. I saw some of the fans that they were selling there. One of them was the Thermaltake heatsink fan for socket 1156. I also saw the Dynatron Heatsink Fan. Which of the two is much better just in case I need to purchase a heatsink fan?

dennis2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Just to let you know. I was watching several videos on youtube on how to install the cpu and heatsink fan. There was this guy who was working on a core i7-920 rig. When he installed the stock intel fan it already has some thermal paste underneath the fan. Does this hold true also for the core i5 stock cpu heatsink fan? If that's the case then I don't have to apply any thermal compound anymore? Correct?

dennis2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I did some researching about the stock intel fans that come with the cpu. Based on my research this fan doesn't do a good job at certain times. I've decided to purchase another fan. Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 from ebay for about $20. Just to be on the safe side :)

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I think it's worth mentioning that SOME Intel retail fans (most in my experience) do come with the thermal paste pre-applied... although I have spoken to several people who received a tube of paste. I assumed they had OEM parts, but in each case they SWORE it was an Intel retail CPU along with the retail cooler. That said... you should be able to visually look and tell if thermal paste is applied to the underside of the heatsink.