"Power fan" header on Asus P6T Deluxe

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
I'm looking at the fan headers on the Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard, there's Chassis 1, 2 and 3 headers and "Power fan". What exactly is this intended for? The manual isn't clear but just makes reference to it. From what I read it's not covered under the Q-fan feature where the board controls the speed of the fans, so I assume anything plugged into it runs at full speed. Is it intended for a regular case fan? Or some special purpose?

Thanks.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

So power supplies have a cable with a 3-pin plug coming from them? I've never saw a power supply with such a cable. There's a CPU fan header, three chassis (CHA_xxx) fan headers and one single power fan header. I was going to use it for my top mounted 140mm fan in my case.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
aln688 on the asus p6t deluxe x58 you have 3 x Chassis Fan connector.and you can plug up to 3 case fans in those headers. hope this helps you out.and some psu do have psu headers plus the 3 case headers.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

Yes the three case fan headers I understand, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3, but can I use the PWR_FAN header to plug in a regular case fan?

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

aln688 this board has 1 x Power Fan connector .if you have a psu fan cable this where you would plug it up to.

jenealogy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
To follow up, I have the same question which wasn't really answered. Can I plug a case fan into the PWR_FAN header? thanks!

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

Through figuring it out myself, you can plug a case fan into this header, but it'll run at full speed as opposed to running under Q-Fan control. For me I'm not using it, I've made do with CHA_FAN1 to 3.

jenealogy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks. When you say "run at full speed" - is that a problem? My box came with 4 fans - 2 in front and 2 on top. The front is where the hard drives are. What would you recommend in terms of plugging which fans in? Thanks.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

Well full speed just means the fan runs at it's highest rated specification, so if it's a Noctua NF-P12, it'll run at it's highest speed, i.e 1300 RPM.

For you with four fans, you have to look at the headers on the board:

CHA_FAN2 - Left side of board (or rear)
CHA_FAN1 - Right, upper side of board (or front)
CHA_FAN3 - Right, lower side of board (or front)
PWR_FAN - Right, upper side of board (or front)

You're only option is to use the PWR_FAN connector seeing as you have four fans, unless you want to plug one or more of them into a fan controller which is exposed to the outside of your case.

I would think two of your front fans use CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN3, then the top two fans use CHA_FAN2 (on the left side looking at the board installed) and the other uses PWR_FAN which is on the right of the board.

Of course you could not install one of your fans, are two top fans really needed? You could just use one then you wouldn't have to use PWR_FAN.

Just some ideas for you.

coeruleo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
i think you could also get a fan header splitter. also called a y cable. or an adapter that lets you plug the fan pins into a 4 pin molex on the power supply, instead of the motherboard. of course, this will mean it is not controlled by a fan controller through the motherboard. it would just be always on, 'full speed'.

thanks aln688, i came here with the same question.

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Just as an added perspective, I have 4 headers on my mobo, CPU_Fan, Sys_fan1, Sys_fan2 and Pwr_Fan. I never really knew what Power fan meant, so this post actually helped me. My system has 7 Case fans that need connections. I have 4 utilizing those four headers. and then 3 connected via 4 pin adapters to my PSU.

The power fan will always run at full speed, and in my bios I have fan control options for the CPU fan and the System fans. I have the systems fans control disabled because I want them running full speed, as well as the power fan by default. All these fans I have I just made sure to verify their running dBa level to make sure they aren't really loud fans. The CPU fan my comp has is actually rather loud so I still retain the bios control of that one.

Hope this helps!

G

Yes aln688, through my own experimenting i found the same. I use PWR_FAN header for my optional SilenX 40mm fan (exhaust) to cool the Northbridge