Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
March 17, 2010 6:49:50 PM

Please excuse my newbness.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to raise my fsb frequency.

- Biostar TA780G M2+ board

- Phenom II 945 3.0GHZ

I'm looking around in the bios and I see what I'm 80% sure is my fsb clock....its set at 200mhz and the bios says that it can go from 200 to 600 mhz, but everytime I hit enter on that value it does not allow me to change it. How do I change it?

More about : overclocking

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2010 6:58:15 PM

depending on the board most time you use the plus or minus keys to get the number increased try that and let me know aht happens and after you do that you have to safe the info and exit make sure that is done as well
March 17, 2010 7:24:01 PM

yeah the plus minus keys did the trick. I set the fsb to 210mhz and that raised my cpu mhz to 3150mhz. (I am checking it with amd overdrive.)

Ok, now I have more questions. I had originally had my ram (4gb ddr2 gskill) set at 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 2T.

Before I changed the fsb I set the ram timings and speed to AUTO in the bios because I thought that raising the fsb would push the ram even higher which might be bad. Is that true?

Should I try to get my cpu overclocking done and then set my ram speed. Or do I just need to leave it at the default 800mhz and let it go up with the increase of the fsb and wherever the ram speed winds up do to overclocking is where it stays??
If my fsb doesnt push my ram speed all the way to 1066mhz will I be cheating myself out of ram speed?

Is there anything else I need to be keeping an eye on when I raise the fsb?

I realize that I might have to add more cpu voltage to keep it stable. How do I know when I need to do that??
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2010 7:37:40 PM

run prime 95 or some other cpu stressing program and if it fails the program you will need to increase the voltage. on mine i took my ram setting off auto and you can see what the ram speeds are as you increase the voltage. if they get higher then the ram you have then you need to lower the ram speed
m
l
March 18, 2010 12:16:19 AM

I had some prime95 errors at 3.4ghz, but it seems pretty stable at 3.3ghz. Since I'm on the stock cooler I guess I'll leave it there for now.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 18, 2010 3:07:33 AM

if you liked my answer mark it as best and hope you have fun with your new oced comp
m
l
March 18, 2010 3:52:39 PM

Best answer selected by guggas.
m
l
!