NVIDIA 8800 Ultra

lipps

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
My buddy at work has more money than he knows what to do with and just upgraded his system.... again. I mentioned that I wanted to upgrade my desktop (finally!) and he offered to sell me his NVIDIA 8800 Ultra for $150.

I didn't realize how many cards have been put out since this one was considered one of the best and I am wondering if this is a good deal. All I really know about the card is it has something like 768MB of memory (I'm not sure if this is the exact number, but it's somewhere in the 700's).

Of couse I would want to know more before I bought it, but I guess what I really want to know is whether or not I should pull the trigger on this, or if there is something better for the money out there? And if there are any specifics of the card I should find out about before I buy it. Thanks!

I know - I'm still surprised that it was the fastest single card for just over a year (it came out in May 2007), and then it was so thoroughly dethroned this last summer, so that now even a $150 card can beat it.