Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer won't install XP

Last response: in Windows XP
April 19, 2011 2:53:06 AM

i was wondering if anyone can help me out, another thing, i don't know if this is in the right section, but here i go.....
a friend said her computer wasn't working that it kept rebooting everytime, she said she ran a scan with norton and in the middle it shut down, well, i go over there and it's filled with viruses, so i use hijackthis and spybot and remove alot of viruses, well now when i start up her computer, it's saying....

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

ERROR MSG ON SCREEN
problem has been detected, and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.
If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer.
Remove any newly installed hard drive or hard drive controller.
check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured, and terminated.
Run cHKDSK /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
technical information:
*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)

so now, i see this and so i thought, i'll take it to my house and reinstall and bring her hard drive back, i did that and it worked, it reinstalled like nothing, i bring it back to her computer and it gives me the same error message, so i start thinking it's not the hard drive 'cause it worked great at my house, so now i'm stuck, i'm going over there to try what it says here :
solution 1 of course, and check if the bios has virus protection on, any other ideas would be great if what i'm going to do don't work. thanks to anyone that responds.

More about : computer install

April 19, 2011 12:12:21 PM

What do you mean, brought it back to your house? If you installed the drive in your system and installed XP on it then transferred the drive to her system, it will not work.

If there are that many viruses, I'd just do a clean install using her system, not yours.
m
l
April 19, 2011 4:17:47 PM

well, it wouldn't install at her house, it would give me that error, i brought the hard drive to my house and it installed perfect, so that could be why this is all happening, but what could be the cause for this error code to pop up, you know what i just need some help, anything would be great,
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2011 4:42:09 PM

Well, unless you two have the exact same motherboard and running the same bios, you won't have much luck transferring the drive from your system to hers. even then, it can be iffy.

Try putting it back in your computer and deleting all partitions on the drive (make sure it's the correct drive), then put it back in her machine and try running the install again.
m
l
April 19, 2011 4:51:39 PM

ok, let's say i did that (i didn't but i want a back up plan), would it be possible to say that her hard drive is working correctly, and could it be her motherboard, i personally feel that her psu is messing up, but even then wouldn't i be sure too know that, maybe some stuff won't power on, i really don't understand how that works, she told me that it's the dvd drive because it doesn't work, i did laugh at her, but i want to ask, verify i guess you can say
m
l
April 19, 2011 4:59:49 PM

If you have the drive in your computer, you can run chkdsk on it. In "my computer", right-click the drive and select properties. On the tools tab, click "check now". Check off both boxes then start the scan. It may take a while, but at least it will find any errors.

Also, don't remove the partition like I sugessted above until after the scan is finished.

A bad power supply can display unusual symptoms, but if you found viruses on her machine, I'd say that's it. When my power supply was failing, my computer ran fine... unless I did some gaming or other intensive task. At that point my computer would shut off.
m
l
April 19, 2011 5:05:50 PM

well, that was the problem i couldn't install it at her house, it kept giving me an error code, also, it wouldn't let me boot to windows before or after i formatted it, i couldn't even run the recovery console on her computer, every time i put in the xp cd, it would say at that the bottom everything was getting setup, it even said at the windows is loading, then the blue screen would pop up that is why i did everything at my house
m
l
April 19, 2011 5:37:30 PM

As an additional, I'd say to make sure her ram is seated properly and run memtest, but since you said her CD/DVD drive isn't working, I don't know how you can run memtest.

Bad sectors on a drive can cause problems during installation, which is why I suggested what I wrote in my last post.
m
l
April 19, 2011 5:45:29 PM

would i be able to run chkdsk on my computer??? maybe that would help out......i could probably get her a dvd drive to run memtest, i thought of the ram too, i can't believe i forgot about memtest
m
l
April 19, 2011 5:51:04 PM

You misread my post. It clearly starts with

If you have the drive in your computer, you can run chkdsk on it.

Please re-read it.
m
l
April 19, 2011 5:52:31 PM

lmao, my fault, my neices are here, i'm gonna try this once they leave, i'll re-post when i have the results, thanks for working with me lol
m
l

Best solution

April 19, 2011 5:55:32 PM

No problem. We're only human. Anyhow to break that post down.

1. Put drive in your computer.
2. Run a full chkdsk with scan for bad sectors

Assuming it passes OK.

3. Delete all partitions on the drive.
4. Insert drive into her computer and install XP.
April 20, 2011 4:43:32 PM

i did everything you said and it didn't work, but i did this and everything went perfect:
Solution 1
1. Start up , press F2 to enter BIOS
2. Expand the "Drives" section
3. Go to "SATA Operation"
4. Change this from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"

so thanks for everything, maybe your advice did help, but that did the job. thanks alot.
m
l
April 20, 2011 5:05:34 PM

Ahhh... yes, RAID/AHCI would have worked, but you needed to use the F6 key during installion to install the AHCI drivers.
m
l
April 20, 2011 6:20:08 PM

No F6 Pushing Here, I Did Everything In The Bios, But Also Besides A "chkdsk /f" Scan, I Also Did A "fixboot" But I Did That In On My Computer With All Partitions Erased Using The Recovery Console.
m
l
April 27, 2011 12:16:14 AM

Best answer selected by adik559.
m
l
!