Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I know when my 2 computers are connected?

Last response: in Toms Network
November 20, 2009 5:41:08 PM

Hello,

I've been trying to connect my 2 desktop computers together, using a crossover ethernet cable. I tried 3 different ways:
1- I set up a small or small office network
2- I created a new connection
3- I created new IP address for each computer.

It seems to be connected, but I cannot find where the computers are located on each computers. (I hope I'm clear enough)

Could you please help me? thank you

More about : computers connected

Best solution

November 20, 2009 5:45:50 PM

Both computers should be in the same workgroup name.
Both computers should have a static IP address and subnet entered in. Gateway should not matter at this point.

PC1:
Workgroup: Workgroup
IP: 192.168.1.100
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

PC2:
Workgroup: Workgroup
IP: 192.168.1.101
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Go to Start - Run - type CMD and click ok. This brings up a command line prompt (black screen)
You want to "ping" the other computer. From computer one type:
ping 192.168.1.101

From Computer 2 to computer 1:
ping 192.168.1.100

It should come back and reply. Its been over 10 years since I last connected to computers together using a crossover cable but that should make you see each computer.

Next step would be sharing out the drives for access.
November 20, 2009 7:34:25 PM

Ok, thank you Riser.
Now, lets say that this works and that the computers do communicate, how do I do for the file sharing?

Thank you
Related resources
November 23, 2009 12:46:18 PM

The simplest way would be to share your C: drive on the computers. Or if you have an administrator account to each PC, you'll be able to access.

Know the computer name or the IP address. From one computer, go to Start - Run and type: \\computername\C$ (this being the name of the other computer). You'll br prompted for a username and password which will have to be an administrator.

This works both ways from each computer. In order to connect to the other computer you need to have an account on the other computer with access. That's why you have to enter a username/password which is valid on the computer you want to access.
November 29, 2009 11:12:04 PM

That's it, I got it to work.. Thanks for your help
December 15, 2009 12:44:34 PM

Good to hear it worked for you. I realized after reading this again that you'll only want to use the IP address, not the name. No name resolution was setup.
!