Unable to Gain Internet Access on Desktop

tophermen

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I'm new to Tom's Hardware and I have an internet problem on my desktop. I'm communicating through my laptop.

I recently bought an unknown brand GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB card and installed it in my desktop. Before I installed the card, I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers for my late BFG GeForce 7600GT. Once I uninstalled the drivers, I noticed that I was unable to gain internet access after I restarted. Out of fear, I used my laptop and its internet connection to download the latest nvidia drivers for the 8800GTS; I saved it on a flash drive.

To understand my internet connection, I am using cable internet and I have a cable modem that is linked to a wireless router, specifically a Linksys WRT54G, that is of course linked to my desktop. I am currently using an on board Ethernet connection built into my A-Bit mobo. I'm using Windows XP Professional.

Back to the problem, I did not understand why it was unable to connect, but I went through installing the 8800 GTS card. I booted my desktop normally and I still was unable to connect to the net. I loaded my flash drive and installed the 8800 GTS nvidia driver. After I installed the drivers and restarted, I was still unable to connect. My Ethernet connection from desktop to router is okay, but Linksys detected that there is no internet connection. Linksys also stated that I needed to begin setup of the router and it did not detect my router or any other connection. I went to Network Connections in my Control Panel and discovered that there is nothing there. There was no network to to be found. I checked the Linksys repeatedly, and uninstalled and reinstalled it to make sure. My router detects my PC, but there is no internet.

Did I make a mistake where when I uninstalled the previous nvidia drivers, it also uninstalled something that is connected to my Ethernet connection, internet, or something?

What do I need to do in order to fix this situation where I can get back onto the net?

Please help. I gladly appreciate it.

If you need more info. just ask!

G

Your mobo probably has a nvidia chipset which includes the nic. Reinstall your nvidia chipset driver either from the cd or download from the nvidia web-site.

Grumpy

tophermen

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I've fixed the problem and my desktop is now back online.

What I found was that doing a System Restore fixes the problem. I rolled back to a week ago and discovered my network connection visible and restored. This is possibly because I uninstalled ALL of the nvidia drivers including my on-board nvidia chipset and NIC. I was able to download the latest nvidia drivers for the 8800GTS and now everything works.

Now I know not to uninstall all of the nvidia drivers before plugging a new graphics card. I'm glad System Restore was able to roll back to my previous settings.