Different voltages & latency?

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks for visiting, even though you've probably seen this countless times already. Ok, straight to the situation:

I accidentally bought an extra set 2gigs of 800 corsair ram at 4-4-4-12 2.1V with my 4gig 800 5-5-5-15 ram during my first build. I'm not sure if those two sets are compatible; I was reading their labels when I got them and noticed a huge gap in voltages, bigger gaps in revision numbers, and different latencies. Will those two types of ram work together? It'd be nice if you guys could answer in extreme detail :)

1. Will one of them be bottleneckecked?
2. Will I damage the ram by any chance?
3. Do I have to change any settings to make them work?
4. I'm using this on an M4A78 PRO; comes with yellow and black memory slots. On the ASUS website, it says that the yellow ones (closer to cpu) give better performance. So if they do work together, which ones should I put where?
5. If they won't work together, I'm making my mom another build soon, so should I stick with 2gigs of lower latencies or 4 gigs of slightly higher latencies for myself?

Thanks, sorry if that's too much to answer :bounce:

Solution

They will all run at the same latency and at the same voltage.

If you want you could manually set them to 5-5-5-15 and 1.8 or 1.9V.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
1. They will run at the speed of the slower RAM, but the timings make barely any difference.
2. No, you shouldn't as long as you don't overvolt it.
3. Try it on Auto first.
4. I don't think it matters.
5. More is generally better.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
So, if I just plug all four of them in, will they run at 1.8V on one channel and 2.1V on the other? Or do they both run at 2.1V? Or even better, is it possible to make the 2.1V sticks stable by increasing their latency to 5-5-5-15 and undervolting them to 1.8V?

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

They will all run at the same latency and at the same voltage.

If you want you could manually set them to 5-5-5-15 and 1.8 or 1.9V.

Solution

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Sorry for asking such a stupid question, but how do I set the latency and voltages? ^.^ I see something about memory latency in the BIOS, not sure how to use it lol

And when I first plug them in and power on, what voltages do they all run at, 2.1V or 1.8V? I heard that better chips must yeild to slower chips in terms of clock speed, what about voltages?

Thanks for replying so quickly, theAnimal :)

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Alright, thanks theAnimal, I've got all four on my mobo now and set the voltage to 1.9volts, and it appears that my mobo lets them run at different latencies. the 2 gigs are still running at 4-4-4-12 stable with memtest x86. Apparently, I mistook the 9 for an 8 on the label ^.^ Thanks for all your help. Now got an extra 2 gigs on top of the 4 that I can never use up lol :)