haggis999

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I have a Plextor PX-760A DVD drive on my Win XP machine that has worked perfectly for a long time. It still works perfectly for data CDs and audio CDs but now it won't read a data DVD that it read quite happily a year ago (a MS SQL Server installation DVD). When I click on this drive in Windows Explorer I get the error message "D:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

Device Manager does not display any issues. Any suggestions for diagnosing this problem?

David

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
#Step 1

Access "Control Panel" from the Start menu and then choose "Performance and Maintenance."
#
Step 2

Click "System" and then go to the Hardware tab and click on "Device Manager."
#
Step 3

Find the device that is registering an error by expanding the nodes of the appropriate category. If the device has a red "X" on the icon next to its description, the hardware is disabled; proceed to Step 4 to enable it. Otherwise, go to Step 5.
#
Step 4

Go to the General tab and click "Enable Device" found under the Device Status section; then press "OK." (Note: You may have to follow prompts, as indicated through an enabling device wizard. If you do, continue to click "Next" and follow the prompts until the process has completed.) Test the hardware. If an error is shown, proceed to Step 5.
#
Step 5

Go to the General tab and click "Troubleshoot" found under the Device Status section then press "OK." Follow the prompts to solve the issue. If an error is still shown, proceed to Step 6.
#
Step 6

Go to the Driver tab and click "Update Driver." Follow the prompts until the process has completed and then test the hardware

haggis999

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I had already been through Steps 1-5 without success. I've now tried your Step 6, updating the driver for my DVD drive. Unfortunately, it ends up with the message "Cannot continue the hardware update wizard. The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed".

Where do I go from here?

David

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Maybe it's not stated cause it's "too obvious", but have you tried other data DVDs on this system and/or have you tried this DVD on a different system? lets just make sure where the problem is before troubleshooting it.