Overclocking comedy - help

drspiffness

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Greetings!

Background: I am a newb. I've been looking into overclocking my q6600 for a couple months because I've had this computer for a couple years. That was the whole reason I bought it to begin with was for this moment :D . I originally had an Asus P5N-D Delux (great board) that came with a bare bones PC with the q6600 preinstalled with a cooler master pro heatsink and fan. After downloading all the standard programs (CPU-Z, Coretemp, and P64) I noticed that while at stock settings, my CPU could reach temps over 95ºC with P64. That was BS^10. It makes me cringe to think about all the fallout 3 I played with that processor in the 80's :??: . Props to Intel on that one. So I decided to upgrade the mobo and cooler a little before proceeding. Also you can barely fit a credit card between the graphics cards and the 2nd card blocked half of my SATA ports.

Current System:

Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz Kentsfield G0 @ 3.0Ghz
Asus P5N-T Delux (crap board)
OCZ 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 SLI-Ready
(2) EVGA GeForce GTX 260
Cooler Master Silent Pro M850 Modular 850W PSU
Corsair Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler (I love this thing and it was only $80)
~4TB storage
Antec Twelve Hundred
Windows 7 Ultimate 64

THE STORY: The P5N-T was an impulse buy, it seamed a logical upgrade from the P5N-D since all I really needed was more SATA ports. The new board SUCKS. I can't get it to implement any OC settings even though the setting saves in the bios.

I have the step by step solution to overclock from 2.4GHz (9x261mhz) TO 3.0GHz (9x333mhz). It is the only thing I have successfully got this board to do.

1) Enter the bios and change the Overclock AI setting to 20% increase
2) Save and restart, fail to post, start again, mobo detects new chipset and adjusts settings automatically, it automatically restarts,
3) Startup, Check CPU-Z and notice that everything is still stock, restart,
4) Enter bios, F5 to default,
5) Save, restart
6) CPU-z now says I am running 3.0 Ghz :heink:

(I have run through this scenario 3 times with the same result)

I can't figure it out. The motherboard is set to manual overclocking with everything set to auto yet it stays at 3.0ghz, unless I resave the default settings, then it finally goes back to 2.4 Ghz. I cannot getting any memory timing or CPU voltages to save.

I have no clue what to do. After running P64 for 20 minutes or so with the 3.0ghz OC, Core Temp has a max reading of 42º. I am happy, but I want to hit 3.4ghz+

Thanks for reading the post. Any thoughts?

r_manic

Administrator
Your PSU is fanless? IF so, maybe you should consider getting one with a fan (unless you don't want to violate your noise level targets or something). Other than upgrading to a higher-end cooling system (water or liquid), you can try lowering the temps of your PSU.

drspiffness

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

No... my PSU has a fan. http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6627

I have an Antec Twelve Hundred with 6 120mm and 1 200mm fans so any noise level targets I could have had are way violated.

I have a liquid cooling system and my temps are great. I idle @ 3 Ghz @ 36º Max. My temp has a 6º rise from idle to full load.

drspiffness

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Got it. I returned the P5N-T and put back in my P5N-D and now I'm running 3.6Ghz steady @ 50ºC under load. I took out one of my video cards so that I can access the rest of my SATA ports. I think this will do until I'm ready for the next PC (couple years more hopefully)

That is the best solution for the P5N-T