Why doesn't my hard drive get 3.0 GB/s?

booleanyesno

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I just built a computer and i ran HDTune on my hard drive and from the results the maximum read speed is 137 MB/s and the average is 110 MB/s. But I have my hard drive connected through a SATA cable that said it could transfer data 3.0 GB/s. Is there something wrong with my Hard drive? Is 110 MB/s good?

Also, Windows 7 rated my hard drive at 5.9, on what does it base that score?

Thanks.

Solution
Why can't you pedal your bicycle at 60MPH on the freeway?

The transfer speed of a hard drive is limited by how fast the drive spins and how much data is stored on each track - the combinations of those factors determine how many bits per second fly past the read/write head. It doesn't matter how much faster it's connection to memory is, it's limited by those physical constraints.

Don't feel shortchanged - 137MB/sec is an excellent transfer rate for a hard drive.

The Windows Experience Index is based on some algorithm that Microsoft has developed that includes not only transfer rate but also latency. Hard drives are pretty much capped at 5.9, to get a little bit beyond that you need RAID and to get into the 7.x range you need an...
Why can't you pedal your bicycle at 60MPH on the freeway?

The transfer speed of a hard drive is limited by how fast the drive spins and how much data is stored on each track - the combinations of those factors determine how many bits per second fly past the read/write head. It doesn't matter how much faster it's connection to memory is, it's limited by those physical constraints.

Don't feel shortchanged - 137MB/sec is an excellent transfer rate for a hard drive.

The Windows Experience Index is based on some algorithm that Microsoft has developed that includes not only transfer rate but also latency. Hard drives are pretty much capped at 5.9, to get a little bit beyond that you need RAID and to get into the 7.x range you need an SSD (Solid State Disk).

Solution

Not even that much - 3.0 gigabit SATA is only 300MB/s due to the 8b/10b encoding.

paulcooperorama

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I agree go SSD your transfer rates will increase markedly but what are you going to do with all of that transfer rate? does your mother board support the higher speeds? controller? NICS and other add on cards? you might get into a hurry up and wait syndrome. you dont want that.