Computer problem please read

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hello

I have recently been trying to overclock my computer following suggestions by a friend. since I am not to computer literate, I have been experimenting with suggested changes in my bios. I have made some small progress in overclocking .

My motherboard is a GA-38-DS4, Processor is a E8500, power supply is a corsair 750W,
Video card Nvidia 8800 GTX

Here is what happened….. After the last time I entered my bios to make changes in settings including voltage (vcore for the 1st time), after I saved and exited the bios my computer started up but after about 6 seconds it shut down and restarted again for the same 6 seconds and continued doing this over and over until I shut the computer down.

I then contacted my computer tech, he went thru the procedure of trying to clear my bios but when this did not help he called Gigabite support and after working with the tech support they decided my bios was corrupt and I should send the motherboard back for repair or order a new one. I chose to order a new board. Since the motherboard that I had was discontinued I ordered a new model GA-48-DS4. When this board was installed and the computer restarted it once again did the 6 second start and restart all over again with the new board. My computer tech suggested the problem may be with the processor or power supply.

I have reordered a new processor and power supply. Since I was reordering I decided to order an upgrade to a Q9650 processor and 850W power supply.

My question is in advance is if when the new processor and power supply are installed, if the computer still reacts the same way starting over and over again , what should I look for next that may be causing this problem

Thanks for any suggestions

Larry

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
add more voltage to your memory

pull one stick and try it in different slots, try the other stick

then increase the voltage in your memory

----------------

disconnect all hard ware - it could be hard drive

same old thing, people always blame the mobo -- or the cpu or the psu when its usually a hdd or memory

goodluck!

pay for a good tech!

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
AS you will have replaced the psu,cpu and mobo you are left with only one suspect,,the ram,and if you have more than one stick then you might want to test it with memtest,go to majorgeeks.com and snoop around for it and anything else that might strike your fancy...:)

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I have a issue believing something went bad also. <_< unless u do something extremely dumb (Like I did :( Sleepiness and over clock = dumb I set v core out specs big time and ended up BBQing the CPU) Chance are there isn't anything wrong. With your original setup except maybe a bad driver or memory stick. Differently try unhooking CD/DVD drivers, use just 1 stick memory in the first memory slot, and discount any extras u have on the PC including USB hook ups ever thing. Only thing you want hooked up are the bare essentials needed to boot such as a 1 hard drive, video card, 1 stick memory you get the idea. Your tech support guy should have had you try this. If that doesn't work next thing I would try is find out your BIOS type (Gigabyte normal uses award if I am not mistaken 99% of Gigabytes use award BIOS so your in luck) Next part I am assuming your motherboard is model GA-ex38-ds4 other wise your motherboard don't exist :p. Now the nice thing about that motherboard is it has the Award BIOS I talked about (and since your tech gave you the advice that your motherboard BIOS was corrupted) then you should flash it. Really simple thing all you need is a little bit of time a floppy drive and Google search. Type in Recover Corrupted award BIOS and you should fine info on it. Basically Award built in a safety feature with the motherboard it has a boot sector thats hard encoded into the chip. Gigabyte should have explained this to your tech guy no clue why they didn't. But this process does work and its super easy. Now my next questions is before you do that is what part of the boot does it get to 99% of the time if its a corrupted BIOS install you get a pretty black screen and a reboot. If you can see the BIOS start try looking for whats the last thing it does before it crashes and post it and I will see what we can do from there :)

PS nothing against your tech but I would look for a new one cause either the guy isn't very good or he just shouldn't be giving advice out and remember there is a huge difference between building and over clocking PC's and being a support tech.

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Thank you for your suggestions. When my new processor and power supply arrive I will let you kow results.

In the meantime suggestions are still welcome.
Larry

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

We have tried all of the above except adding more voltage. How do you do this if you cannot get into the bios??