Asus P6T Overclockability?

I am looking to upgrade my current PC with an ASUS P6T mobi and i7 920. My question is, what are the OC limits of this board? I see the only really differences between this and the Deluxe are the SAS controller (not needed) and the Deluxe is 16+2 phase and the vanilla board is 8+2. However on several reviews they say this did not hinder the OC ability of the P6T board. I'm looking to get 3.8 out the 920 with a Thermalright Ultra cooler.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this board?

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I haven't OCed mine yet, until I figure out some issues with the temps (Coolermaster V8 cores range from 29c-35c idle) which is fine, but my CPU temp never reads below 44c (which is supposedly against the laws of nature since that value should be lower than the core temp)

Anywho, i was watching some video's online and some guides for the P6T, from what I understand the board is a breeze to OC.

My buddy just build one for a friend with the P6T and V8 cooler and he loved it. He himself has an elaborate liquid cooling system and still hits like 50c+ on full load, I think its 35C idle. but he is in the basement and the ambient temp plays a HUGE roll. I know he said with the stock cooler it was like high 50c idle.

Yeah i hear the same thing, just wanted some comments from those who have Oced on that board. I really like how the PCI-E slots are configured over the Deluxe

As an early adopter of the P6T deluxe, I had no issues with overclocking to 3.3 with the true cooler. That is all I was looking for, and it was easy. Just set BCLK to 160 from 133 and leave everything on auto. See my config for details. I have no doubt that 3.8 should be reasonable. I idle at 33c. I did lap the heat sink, and keeping the temperatures under control seems to be very important.
---good luck---