Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5B-VM DO says support Q6700 but can't get to work!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
March 17, 2009 3:47:36 PM

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB,L2:2X4MB,rev.G0,4 cores)
MOTHERBOARD = Asus P5B-VM DO
RAM = 8GB DDR2 800 Kingston (KVR800D2N6)
HEATSINK = CoolerMaster Core 2 CPU Fan FS5S
OS = Windows 2008 Standard Server 64 Bit
POWER SUPPLY = Ultra 500W
VIDEO CARD = onboard
SOUND CARD = onboard
CASE = generic
OEM SYSTEM = custom built

Please help! I have successfully running P5B-VM DO motherboard with a Intel Pentium D 925 3.0GHz and 8 GB of Kingston DDR2 800 with bios revision 505. I have purchased a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB,L2:2X4MB,rev.G0,4 cores). It is listed on the CPU support list.

I upgraded the bios to rev 1002 and reset the CMOS. After I installed the Q6700 and I power on the computer there is no beep and I get a black screen. If I put the Pentium D 925 back in it works. I have tested the Q6700 in another system with a non-Asus mb and it starts normally with correct CPU info displayed. My power supply is 500W and no other devices are connected other than 8 GB of Kingston DDR2 800 which is on the vendor qualified list.

I am concerned about the cpu support list since the Intel website for Q965 chipset does not have quad-cores listed.

I have submitted several technical inquiries and posted topics on forum with asus and no responses.

Do anyone have suggestions on how to get Q6700 cpu working for this board?

More importantly, does anyone have experience with successfully getting P5B-VM DO and Q6700 to work?

Thank you in advance!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2009 4:07:25 PM

I have the P5B-VM DO running for a year or more. ASUS website list the Q6700 as being supported. BIOS rev. 1002 should provide support as well. Have you tried booting the system with 1 DIMM RAM in slot 1? I would try that as well as unpluging the HD and see if BIOS will come up. BTW, the board has serious OCing limitations. The Ocing fail information is discussed on the Product Page forum.
March 17, 2009 5:26:52 PM

badge said:
I have the P5B-VM DO running for a year or more. ASUS website list the Q6700 as being supported. BIOS rev. 1002 should provide support as well. Have you tried booting the system with 1 DIMM RAM in slot 1? I would try that as well as unpluging the HD and see if BIOS will come up. BTW, the board has serious OCing limitations. The Ocing fail information is discussed on the Product Page forum.

Thanks for the reply!

All devices are disconnected except power, cpu, ram, monitor and kb. My goal is to hear the beep and get screen with bios up with Q6700. OCing is not a priority so default settings are fine just to get things working.

I will try 1 DIMM RAM in slot 1. I am curious... why that would make a difference?

Related resources
March 17, 2009 6:27:23 PM

I tried 1 DIMM RAM (single channel) in slot 1. No working. Reset CMOS. Nothing.

Is there some else you did to get Q6700 working for your board?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2009 7:24:05 PM

I have an e6600 on the ASUS P5B-VM DO for more than a year. Try the Q6700 in another board if possible. If it is new, RMA it. No screen suggests some kind of hardware problem. I have had issues with Vista 64 upgrading from a C2D to C2Q. The quad was not properly recognized in Device Mgr. I reinstalled the OS and fixed the problem, but that does not appear to be your problem. Can you test the Q6700 in another system. Reinstalling the Pentium D 925 and having the system boot and run perfect suggests a problem with the Q6700. Also, there may have been updated steppings issued for Q6700 that are not supported by the board. Not sure.
March 17, 2009 7:49:16 PM

He tried the CPU in another system and it worked.
March 17, 2009 7:57:48 PM

Yes. Tried Q6700 in a SuperMicro mb. Boots fine with correct CPU info. Each hardware device works in different combinations except PB5-VM DO and Q6700. I did read about stepping issues however I was carefully to pick 05A with GO stepping which is exactly on the board's cpu support list.

I got the board last year. I can't find the box in came in. I tried looking on board for serial number to register for warranty. Found different numbers and none worked with the online registeration. Kept saying wrong number.

Do you know the serial number of your ASUS P5B-VM DO board and can you give me an idea what the pattern is so I can match it with mine? i.e. starting character, length, # of dashes or whatever.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2009 8:02:49 PM

I see you posted the stepping before I posted
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2009 8:04:57 PM

Although I don't know for certain, ASUS usually does not issue 'Revisions' like say Gigabyte. If a BIOS update won't provide support for new CPU's, etc., ASUS will issue a new model.

EDIT: My P5B-VM DO is in my HTPC at home. I'm at work. I can check and see if there is any revision mentioned. BTW..ASUS issued the P5B-VM then the updated P5B-VM DO. No revison for the P5B-VM, like Rev 2. I returned the P5B-VM for lack of BIOS options and got this P5B-VM DO instead. What a mistake.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2009 8:25:02 PM

If you notice on the ASUS CPU support link I posted, there is no 'Revision' boards mention with the BIOS support lists. The P5B-VM DO is not issued as a 'revision' model.
March 17, 2009 8:25:22 PM

Thanks for checking your HTPC when you get home.

My motherboard revision # is 1.01g. CPU Support for Q6700 says Since PCB = ALL.

FYI: I did try BIOS versions 0903, 1001 beta and 1002 to see if an update has inadvertly disabled support for Q6700. Did not seem to matter so I have been trying on 1002 since. I did find version 0801 from ftp asus but have not tried it.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2009 8:45:38 PM

Yeah, BIOS verson 1002 should include everything that prior revisions did. I can check the box I have for that 1.01g revision. I can tell you the board is not very 'versatile'. It's a crappy Oc'er. Likely due to poor voltage regulators for C2D/C2Q. BIOS doesn't even have RAM voltage adjustment. The Q6700 should work, but I've messed around with the board and I'm not surprised you are having 'problems' with it.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2009 5:12:55 AM

I managed to check the box and found no mention of the board revision. The HTPC unit is hooked up with my 40" Samsung in a small case. If I get time, I'll open it up and have a look at the MB and verify revision number.
March 18, 2009 11:18:41 AM

I am wondering if the default bios settings after a CMOS reset works with Q6700. Did you have default settings -or- did you manually configure the bios for C2D/C2Q?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2009 1:12:08 PM

I manually set the BIOS. To be sure the BIOS is defaulting unplug the PSU, remove the battery and reset the CMOS jumper. The board hangs when OC fails. Unplugging the PSU will usually allow the BIOS to reset. I had to install one of these to keep from contnually opening the case to reset when unplugging theunit doesn't work.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

When you reinstall the Pentium D 925, have you verified 1002 BIOS is installed. So you are using the onboard video, have you updated the chipset driver to the latest on the ASUS site? Also, have you tried installing a PCIE video card and booting with it? I have never used the onboard video. If you install a video card, BIOS should pick it up and run it. That may be why your screen is blank, no video detection.

March 19, 2009 2:05:07 AM

Done the BIOS defaulting as you described (many many times). Verified with Pentium D 925 that it is 1002 BIOS. Using onboard video and not tried a PCIE video. I can try that. I will let you know.

Chipset driver is an os driver isn't it. I have everything disconnected and trying to hear beep and get video first.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2009 4:20:22 AM

The ASUS product page has chipset driversthat should be a more recent version than the one you installed from the MB CD. Intel has the latest chipset driver which include the onboard graphics chip driver for the 965G here.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?Pro...
March 19, 2009 1:46:00 PM

Tried with ASUS EAH3450 PCIE video card. Still no beep and have no screen. The onboard video works with Pentium D 925. Again, no hd's connected so no os will load. Goal is to hear beep and get bios to load.

I did get a reply from ASUS finally. They said as long as I have BIOS 0801 it should work. I did reflash to 0801 and still nothing.

I would like to speak with someone who has actually installed a Q6700 into P5B-VM DO.

I think I might be at a dead end here with my board.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2009 3:54:37 PM

Opened the case. The board is rev. 1.01G. There are no other revisions of this board issued.
March 19, 2009 8:31:11 PM

Hey badge, thanks for your help to this point.

Should I give up with trying to get Q6700 working with P5B-VM DO? What would you do?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2009 9:50:53 PM

Well, if you read the ASUS product page forum, there is an earlier post where the guy had the same symptoms as you are having. No Post, no beep and no video. He was trying to install an e6750 which is not supported by the board. I know the Q6700 is supposed to be supported and the processor works fine in another board. So yeah, I think the ASUS P5B-VM DO is faling to recognize or power the quad properly no matter what ASUS says it is supposed to do. I can tell you the board is weak as far as having no OCing ability whatsoever (documented on the ASUS product page and confirmed on my end). The BIOS doesn't even have voltage adjustment for RAM. That is pretty weak for an ASUS MB. I have ASUS G35, 945G and 780G micros that have great BIOS adjustment featuresand OC just fine. Not the P5B-VM DO. I originally installed the P5B-VM micro 965G and broke it down and got this bad actor. What a mistake, At least the P5B-VM had voltage adjustments to 1.9v for thr RAM. So, it's the board being a bad actor with your Q6700. Maybe the VR's are not up to it even though ASUS lists the Q6700 as being supported. I have a Q6600 runing great for a long time in a P5B Deluxe 965P.

Forgeot to mention I had planed a while ago to loose the ASUS P5B-VM DO for something with better OCing ability when I seriously tried everything to get my e6600 rolling. This thing is yuck. The FSB will not go higher that 283MHz no matter what you try or have to get there. It's documented on the Product page Forum.
March 20, 2009 12:22:36 PM

How is the Asus P5Q series? I was going to research the P5Q-VM SE/R.
April 16, 2009 12:05:56 PM

sem00 said:
Hey badge, thanks for your help to this point.

Should I give up with trying to get Q6700 working with P5B-VM DO? What would you do?

Hi Sem00. Did you manage to resolved your boot-up issue. Got a Q6700 yesterday same as yours and I am seeing the same problem.
April 16, 2009 12:53:11 PM

I ended up calling Asus Tech Support and spoke to a Level 2 tech guy. He claims it should work with BIOS 0801. After explaining everything they approved an RMA and are sending a replacement board. I will see if that solves the problem.
April 16, 2009 11:17:35 PM

I just tried the p5b vm do motherboard rev.1.01G with bios version 1002 along with the Q6700 cpu and it works. you might want to rma the board if you can't get it to work.
April 24, 2009 8:26:07 PM

The replacement board from asus works. I am shipping back the original.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2009 9:04:53 PM

After the new board is up and running, see if the FSB can run stable above 280-284ish MHz.. Should fail miserably no mattter what adjustments are made.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2009 2:33:40 PM

sem00 said:
The replacement board from asus works. I am shipping back the original.

Any update on the overclocking ability of the replacement board using the q6700?
April 27, 2009 4:10:31 PM

No updates on overclocking. Will post if I get any overclock results with q6700.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2009 4:13:38 PM

If you have a chance, set the FSB to 285-290MHz. and see if the system will boot up and run. ASUS product page forum says no. So do I.
!