Sign in with
Your question

Debating on 7750BE or 6400+ for upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2009 7:39:04 AM

I've been looking around for a few days and I cannot seem to get a straight answer on this...
1) AM2+ procs work with AM2 sockets, correct?
2) Which would be the better buy for my upgrade... 7750BE or the 6400+?

I've taken the manufacturing process into consideration for this and the difference with the cache sizes and levels.

I have a M2N E-SLI. An older board and hence my dilemma. I figure with a bios update I should be fine.
4gb of RAM @ 800mhz and an 8800GT running Vista32.

I know upgrading to an AM2+ board would yield far greater results with HT3.0 support and 1066 ram support as well, but right now I just want to get a new proc to boost performance a little before building a new system. I'm gonna let all the new procs come out and maybe wait for revised stepping to see which yields better performance.

Anyway; I use this PC for everything. Gaming mainly, daily uses like email, web browsing, video(HD and non).

I do care a little about overclocking, but with my board I'm not really sure how well it'll work. My mobo is very picky with voltages.

Thank you~
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 8:08:12 AM

Hey Meical, my vote would be for the 7750 and here's why. First off L3 cache. Then it's $25 bones cheaper. It would enable you to do a gradual up-date/build, when it's time to get a new board you would already have the processor. You shouldn't have to worry about cooling the 7750 is only 95w, as the 6000 series are 125w and heat issues seem to be frequent with stock cooling (look at AMDS forums dual core's first few pages). The 6400 is going to be faster by 500MHz, but the 7750 should OC without to much problem to catch it up some.
February 10, 2009 8:17:12 AM

That's what I was thinking. It would enable a cheap upgrade in the future since I'd have the proc already.
Related resources
February 10, 2009 8:17:13 AM

AM2+ cpu's don't work with am2 only mobo's, it needs to have an am2 socket with am2+ support

7750 needs the am2+ so if you don't have a + board then you'll be stuck with the 6400
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 9:00:58 AM

Sorry Meical, I went to ASUS and looked at the wrong board.

@ HellowWorld_98, good catch on that. I would really feel bad if he was to get a CPU he couldn't use on my advice.

Thanks, Fester
February 10, 2009 12:52:26 PM

get a new am2+ mobo and x3 720 cpu would be my advice, it would cost quite a bit more than just a 6k+ but you would get i7 920 level gameplay on the 720 because of it's 2mb per core cache and it's also overclockable to 3.8ghz, maybe 4.2 on liquid cooling and with the new mobo you'd get cf support.

@zipzoomflyhigh, nope the 6k+ is 90nm too, there isn't any escaping 90nm with the top end am2 dual core's

EDIT: the 6k+ doesn't look to be a very good overclocker either
February 10, 2009 1:02:23 PM

None of the K8s are 'good overclockers' but the 90nm chips have double the L2 cache.
February 10, 2009 5:49:30 PM

This is the information I keep getting from the internets...

"Socket AM2+ is a CPU socket, which is the immediate successor to Socket AM2 that is currently used in several AMD processors such as Athlon 64 X2. Socket AM2+ is a mid-migration from Socket AM2 to Socket AM3 and is fully compatible with Socket AM2, so processors designed for Socket AM2 will work on Socket AM2+ motherboards and vice versa.

Socket AM2+ has some differences however that will be used in AM2+ chips, there are two main features in Socket AM2+ not in Socket AM2:

HyperTransport 3.0 operating at up to 2.6 GHz
Split power planes: one for the CPU cores, and the other for the Integrated Memory controller (IMC). This will improve power savings, especially with integrated graphics, if the CPU cores are in sleep mode but the IMC is still active.
AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards. However, due to the lack of support of HyperTransport 3.0 and separated power planes in Socket AM2 motherboards, AM2+ chips will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (HyperTransport 2.0 at the speed of 1 GHz, one power plane for both Cores and IMC). AM2 chips will not benefit from faster HyperTransport and separated power planes on AM2+ motherboards as they do not support them, AM2+ motherboard then fall back to compatibility mode using AM2 specifications.

According to confirmations from AMD, Socket AM2+ will have a compatibility path with Socket AM3, AM3 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards; however, AM2+ processors will not be compatible with AM3 motherboards."

I think AMD has done a great job with the new procs coming out to be backward compatible, but it certainly gets confusing. Especially the new nomenclature they're using.

And looking around still I found that on a few sites that the K10 architecture is compatible with Socket F.

Looking at these 65nm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 83 à CPUs
February 10, 2009 6:48:29 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
get a new am2+ mobo and x3 720 cpu would be my advice, it would cost quite a bit more than just a 6k+ but you would get i7 920 level gameplay on the 720 because of it's 2mb per core cache and it's also overclockable to 3.8ghz, maybe 4.2 on liquid cooling and with the new mobo you'd get cf support.

@zipzoomflyhigh, nope the 6k+ is 90nm too, there isn't any escaping 90nm with the top end am2 dual core's

EDIT: the 6k+ doesn't look to be a very good overclocker either

They released a 65nm version of the 6000 clocked at 3.1Ghz months ago. AMD doesn't manufacture 90nm anymore, any 90nm chips that are around have been in circulation for some time now.

You are right with the overclocking situation though, the Athlons top at 3.1-3.4 typically, with it already shipping at 3.1 there is little to no overclocking head room left.
!