Quick dual channell RAM question

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i understand that for dual channell to work you need identicle Sticks of RAM in each slot, so could i have 2 2Gb sticks in slot 3 and 4 then 2 1GB sticks in slots 1 and 2. i was wondering because my dads dell has 2 512MB sticks in his slot 3 and 4 and 1 1GB in slot 2 and in the bios it says his ram is dual channell interleaved. so the set of 512s are running dual channell while the 1GB is single right? so my board should do dual channell if i put exact pairs in each channell right?

Yes dual channel requires identical pairs. As to which slots, you will have to refer to the MB Guide/manual. Some MB's are color coded, some are paired in slots 1 & 3 and Slots 2 & 4. The pairs do not need to be idenitcal that is one pair might be 2 X 1 Gig and the 2nd pair could be 2 x 512 Meg.

However, it is better (from a standpoint of getting to work) if all 4 are the same. When the two pairs are different, try to at least match the CL ratings and the operating Voltages for the DIMMs

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
ok, cool, i was just wandering because i just bought a second 2GB and already have a 2GB and a 1GB, since the 2 2GB are identicle ill pair them up. the voltages are the same and i think the CLs are too, thanks for the help