Boot Disk Error - SATA drives not recognized in BIOS

kgiuliani

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
My boyfriend's computer system would not boot up this past weekend. He had no problems with the system before that.

He has an ASUS A8N-E motherboard and two SATA drives. The motherboard has 4 SATA connectors. One of the drives )Drive #1) has/had a messed up MBR which is why he has a second hard drive with the WinXP o/s installed on it.

Here's what I've tried to fix it:

Disconnected Drive #1 and tried to reboot - still doesn't recognize Drive #2 (new Seagate) in Bios and won't boot.

Disconnect Drive #2, reconnect #1 - same thing. No SATA drives detected in BIOS. (Bios set to autodetect).

Bought a PCI-e SATA controller card and installed it. When I connect Drive #2 to the card, it doesn't show in the BIOS but I don't get the Boot Disk Error message and some sort of program pops up after the BIOS loads showing the drive recognized by the card and saying to press Control-J to install a RAID. After that, we get the Windows didn't successfully load the last time message and if we select Load Windows Normally, the Windows Splash Screen flashes for a moment and then disappears and the computer reboots.

We also replaced the battery and reset the CMOS and reset the BIOS to defaults.

I tried doing a Windows repair with Drive #2 connected to the card but get a message that no hard drives exist.

I'm thinking Drive #1 went bad and caused a problem with the SATA controller on the motherboard.

Help! My boyfriend is a musician and doesn't want to lose all his music programs and his latest song (not backed up)!

Any ideas?

kgiuliani

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
OK, I tried Drive #2 in my computer at work and it seems fine - I had no trouble accessing the drive and all the files seem to be there. Unfortunately I was at work so didn't have time to try and boot from the drive not to mention my boss probably wouldn't be very happy if I messed up my computer.

I don't have another computer at home with a SATA controller and don't have the right power supply to use with the drive if I put in the PCI card.

Anyone?