Trouble converting IDE HD to SATA MB

jdubhub

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I just purchased a barebones system with an AsRock N61P-S motherboard and transferred my drives over successfully. One thing I didn't track on when selecting this sytem was, while it did have four SATAII plugs on the mobo, it only had one IDE plugin. My old system had two IDE plugs and I used one for the HD and one for the optical drives.

What I ended up doing was using the IDE plugin for my DVD-rom and CD burner and was fortunate for have an old Promise ATA-66 PCI card in storage, which I used to hookup my Seagate 250Gig IDE HD with a clean installation of Windows XP.

With the old BIOS on the Promise adapter card comes the old problem of the 137Gig limit, which is one of the reasons I got the new computer. So, I purchased a IDE to SATA converter. Today, I pulled the Promise card, connected the converter (it is supposed to be bi-directional), and plugged in the HD directly to the mobo. Then...nothing.

Even with tweaking the boot settings, I couldn't boot from the HD directly through the mobo's SATAII connection. Is there an issue with using a SATA converter on a SATAII motherboard or do I need to update the AsRock BIOS since I will no longer be using the Promise card's BIOS?

Any help will be appreciated.

EDIT: Except for not having full access to the whole HD, everything else about the system works perfectly. I also like the idea of the thinner SATA cables helping with air circulation in my tower, too.

Solution
Then you'll have to buy a converter that works with your motherboard. Check on Neweggg and read the reviews to find one that works well with your chipset and hard disk.

jdubhub

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

I just went ahead and bought an ATA133 PCI card for this hard drive, since it will support large drives. Not the fix I had hoped for, but it is the cheapest. For the next hard drive I buy, I will make sure the drive is SATA and not have to deal with it.

Thanks for your help!