Asus P5Q New Memory questions new chip related

sontan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Guys, here is my issue

I have 4 matched 1gig sticks of super talent memory. The timming should be 5-5-5-15 on them. When i look in my Bios all 4 sticks show up in bios with different timmings. None of the 4 timming read the same.

Is this normal? I have everything set to default (auto mode). Is this just the board trying to do what it thinks is best? What should i do?

I am running an intel qx6700 with no issues running in this setup. i can overclock the chip from 2.66 to 3.4 air cooled with no issues.
Do i want or need new ram?

The reason i ask is this....
I have a new chip. it's basically the qx9770 but with a 1333 FSB. My board is susposed to work with it. I got it to boot to bios once with this configuration. (i have the newest asus bios on the board)
I cannot get the CPU to boot anymore. All the computer does is rev up then die after about 2 seconds with a single beep thrown in the mix.

Is my ram causing my booting issue with this new chip?

Whats my next move? Thanks

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
As for memory: all sticks run with the same timings, when you look in bios you have 1st Info, 2nd info 3rd info, but these are not timings of separate sticks. All your modules work with timings shown in 1st Info.

As for cpu - go to bios with the old one and set the fsb:ram ratio to 1:1, so when you try to boot with your new cpu you know its not memory that prevents it from doing so.
But than again, it shouldnt die immediately(does it give video signal to the monitor when "alive" for those few seconds?). Do you have 20 or 24-pin power connector plugged into your mobo? What mobo is it?

sontan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I will try the 1:1 ram thing tonight when i get home.

The monitor does not act alive during that 2 sec boot time. I have a 4 year old aspire 550w with a 20pin connector. i am using a 20-24 pin conversion cable to connect to the board. My old chip susposed to draw the same wattage (135w) so i figured the power supply would also be ok with the new chip.

I have the Asus p5q motherboard

my ram is 4 1 gig sticks of ddr2 800 supertalent at 5-5-5-15 1.8v