Gateway FX 6800-01e BIOS Update from Gateway Unsupported

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I purchased the Gateway FX 6800-01e Core i7 920 with X58 Chipset, Vista 64 Bit OS with a build date of 12/26/09 in February. There is an official Gateway (AMI)BIOS Update for the unit that enables Intel Turbo Boost on Motherboard. The file is BIOS_842P151G when unzipped. However there is no "read me" file or documentation on the Website to properly update the BIOS etc. Gateway Tech Support (Acer) has no documentaton, knowlege etc. at Level 1, 2 or 3( Paid) to explain how to properly update. There are 5 files that unzip. One is an AMI AFUWIN which when opened grabs another file 842P161G.ROM which when opened checks off only the Main BIOS box in the AMI Flash menu. That gave me a bad Checksum Error. However I recoverd by checking all the boxes on the AMI BIOS update through trial and error. However there is also another Icon called "flash" and 3 more files: UCORE.SYS, UCORE.VXD, UCOREW64.SYS. I don't know what the proper flash configuration should be for the Gateway AMI BIOS or the other Gateway Flash utility ( which didn't update the BIOS). Can someone tell me what the proper order of operations is to Flash the Motherboard / CMOS before I try anthing else and wreck the machine.I still don't have the Intel Turbo Boost feature in the CMOS even with the AMI Flash that at least recovered the machine. I have spent weeks before I even attempted this to get help but to no avail from Gateway. Also, anyone have a way I can get the old version of the BIOS as shipped, there was not utility to save a copy, download from Gatewa Website or from System Restore and Drivers & Downloads Recovery Disks I made day one.
Thanks for any help, Gateway is really a mess since they are now just a brand made and marketed by ACER with no integraton of the companies, no updated databases for the model etc.

Irish2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

Sorry to hear your having the same problem but nice to know I'm not in this sinking boat by myself.

rdk2009

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah gateway sucks. But thanks so much for posting your solution to the CMOS Checksum Error, lucky me that I found this :)

So I went into BIOS > Advanced Chipset Features and saw that "Intel EIST" was disabled. Is this the turbo boost thing from intel?

Irish2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I don't know. I do know that it now shows as Enabled but you can't configure anywhere in the CMOS from what I can see to power down 3 of the CPU's to "overclock" the remaining CPU from there.

After you flashed the AMI BIOS what did you do with the other "Flash" utility that is just an Icon which I assume is relesed by Gateway? Did you flash that also? If so which did you Flash first? The Gateway Flash I haven't tried since I got the "Bad Check Sum Error". I don't want to make things worse until I can get a clear answer or instructions.

rdk2009

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

I havent touched anything after I fixed the "CheckSum Error" lol. Im just gonna wait...again for a response from Gateway. I looked up a little info on our chip here: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBCH Kind of interesting to see that we only have 3 of those Supported Features, those being: Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology, Execute Disable Bit, and Intel Virtualization Technology.

rdk2009

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Actually I just used my Intel Processor Identification Utiliy and in the CPU speed section it shows

REPORTED 2.79 GHz
EXPECTED 2.67 GHz

So maybe the turbo boost feature worked?

Irish2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

In your prior message you provided the Intel Link, look in the "Notes" and it appears Turbo Boost is available.

Where did you get the Processor Identification Utility?

Also, I think if you are able to fully enable the Turbo Boost you should be getting up to about 2.97 GHZ?

rdk2009

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

I got this response from Gateway:
"Thank you for contacting Gateway. I’ll be happy to assist you with CMOS issue.
As per our records, your system is under warranty.
Check whether the time is running or not.
If you are comfortable with opening the tower, replace the battery and restart the system.
If the issue still persists, please contact us back.
For further assistance, please feel free to visit our web site http://www.support.gateway.com/support/default.aspx

Have a nice day!

Respectfully,
Gateway Online Technical Support"

Here's the link the Processor Identification Utility:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=3052&OSFullName=Windows+Vista*+Home+Premium%2C+64-bit+version&lang=eng&strOSs=159&submit=Go%21

Irish2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
]I got this response from Gateway:
"Thank you for contacting Gateway. I’ll be happy to assist you with CMOS issue.
As per our records, your system is under warranty.
Check whether the time is running or not.
If you are comfortable with opening the tower, replace the battery and restart the system.
If the issue still persists, please contact us back.
For further assistance, please feel free to visit our web site http://www.support.gateway.com/support/default.aspx

Have a nice day!

Respectfully,
Gateway Online Technical Support"

Here's the link the Processor Identification Utility:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=3052&OSFullName=Windows+Vista*+Home+Premium%2C+64-bit+version&lang=eng&strOSs=159&submit=Go%21[/quotemsg]

Thanks for the Intel Information. I found the utility yesterday and I got the same exact score you did. I don't think that indicates the Turbo Boost feature is configured to overclock one CPU while powering down the other CPU's on the core.

P.S. Your CMOS battery does not need to be removed and reset from my experience. That is just the "quick" answer. Your P.C. is basically brand new, nothing wrong with the battery. I'm assuming you set your CMOS clock and it is keeping the correct time?

Here is my most recent response from Gateway: What a laugh, the link provided sent me to the site where I downloaded their BIOS and they do not support it!

Response (Karl Z.) - 03/16/2009 10:33 AM
Dear XYZ,

Thank you for contacting Gateway. I apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced.

Gateway does not support BIOS upgrades, unless available from our web site. To check for the availability log on to this link: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/docexpress.asp?pn=FX6800. If not available, then we don't have any more information on bios upgrades. Improper installation of a BIOS upgrade can damage the machine irreparably. However, if there is an available BIOS in this site and it is not working in your system then it could be the same version of BIOS that is installed with and there are currently no recommended BIOS changes or updates listed for your computer other than the one given on the link above. Changing the default settings in BIOS could cause the computer to become unbootable and it is not recommended. Gateway does not have or support any changes for the
BIOS. Upgrading your BIOS is NOT recommended unless it will resolve a specific issue you are having. BIOS updates should only be performed by experienced computer technicians.

I hope that the information provided is relevant to your concern.

Respectfully,
Gateway Online Technical Support

Customer Mr. XYZ - 03/14/2009 11:11 AM
Hello: Since my Gateway FX 680-01e was built at you factory, you have released and important BIOS Update Gateway BIOS BIOS_842P1^1G.ZIP for BIOS version 842161G.
I would like to update to this version of the BIOS as it enables features of the Intel i7 920 Turbo Boost Feature on the motherboard. This is a signinficant technical advantate to using the CPU at faster speeds for one core when need. Apparently you had not finised writing the software or needed other technical infromation from Intel or AMI who wrote your BIOs and shipped the units without the feature available or enabled.

I have downloaded the file but there is no "Read Me" file with instructions and there are two differnt Flash Files one from AMI and one not named that I assume is from Gateway. There are no instructions on how to configure the AMI Flash File and it has many differnt instruction boxes that can be check or unchecked. Also there are absolutely no instructions from the Gateway "Flash" Icon and it does not flash the BIOS at all. It appears you must Flash the AMI File first but I am not sure, please advise.

Here are the file names that unzipp when you download the BIOS update.
In this order:
842P1161G.ROM - ROM File
AFUWIN - Application ( AMI Flash Utility whith many config options
flash ( Icon)- Windows Batch File
UCORESYS.SYS - System File
UCOREVXD.VXD
UCOREW64.SYS

When you open AFUWIN the application goes and grabs the 842P161G.ROM File. When you double click that file it only checks one box in the AMI Flash File Menu. "Main BIOS" and doing that does no update the BIOS correctly and you get a Checksum Error. Other Boxes must need to be checked but which ones?

Also, what does the Gateway Flash ( Widows Batch File) do and which files does it "grab".
Which Flash utility do you apply first?
The Gateway Flash file appears to do nothing.
What is the Order of Operations.

I have chatted and called Tech Support Level 1, Level 2 and Paid Answers by Gateway / Working with Gateway and spent $59.99 for 30 minutes with a Tech Support Representative who had no information or techncial notes on the BIOS Update you realeased and did not know how to even open the files / utility or how to correctly flash and update the BIOS.

I belive I have received very poor technical support since owning your machine. I have been given poor information, transferred time after time to other tech support reps only to be disconnected and have to call back and start from the beginning. The worst offense was to pay for you premium Tech Support and get no results. I have been informed by several Tech Support Reps that since Acer Computer bought Gateway the merger and intergration of the two companies has been awful, the databases are not up to date. No one knows much about the FX 6800-01e model and have not information or notes on the unit, the BIOS update you released etc.

Please help me.

Mr. XYX
telephone

Question Reference #090314-000665
---------------------------------------------------------------
Escalation Level: Wait
Date Created: 03/14/2009 11:11 AM
Last Updated: 03/16/2009 10:33 AM
Date Purchased: 02/19/2009
Operating System: Windows Vista
I need: Technical Support
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Model
---------------------------------------------------------------
FX 6800-01e

[---001:004510:46065---]

G

I wish I had known of this thread previously as I would have been able to offer assistance to everyone having trouble with this BIOS update.

Anyone who has previously downloaded the new BIOS and is having problems with trying to update their system should Download a NEW copy of the BIOS from Gateway and run the Flash utility again.

There should be no problems as Gateway FIXED the problem without telling anyone and without making any notes of it on the support page.

When the New BIOS was first uploaded, a Mistake was made is the flash batch file for flashing the system.

The original file reads as follows: AFUWIN.EXE 842P161G.ROM /p /b /c /L2 /REBOOT

/P - Program main BIOS image
/B - Program Boot Block
/C - Destroy CMOS checksum (Clear nVRAM)
L2: Load optimal from ROM file

A New BIOS with a FIXED Flash.bat file was later uploaded with the Same Time Stamp.

The New file reads as: AFUWIN.EXE 842P161G.ROM /p /b /x /L2 /REBOOT

/P - Program main BIOS image
/B - Program Boot Block
/X - Don't Check ROM ID
L2: Load optimal from ROM file

What happened here was that Acer changed the BIOS Naming convention of the BIOS from the Factory Default 842PxxxG to AMI R01-A04

The ROM ID Error everyone has been getting is because of the name convention change in the BIOS.

If you would like to save the Old BIOS, you can do this using the Flash utility which can be run without the flash.bat file. Instead, it'll open a program window allowing you to select which options (switches) you need to run.

As for the Motherboard, so far, it seems that Acer has No intention of releasing any information on it as they are trying to keep it to themselves.

They have not released any Manuals for the Motherboard. Tech support is just about clueless and what with the company merger, it seems nobody really knows what is what.

Here are the actual flash codes for using the Afuwin.exe utility.

[cpp] +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| AMI Firmware Update Utility v4.36 |
| Copyright (C)2008 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Usage: AFUWIN <ROM File Name> [Option 1] [Option 2]... |
| or |
| AFUWIN <Input or Output File Name> <Command> |
| or |
| AFUWIN <Command> |
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
| Commands: |
| /O - Save current BIOS into file |
| /C - Refer to Options: /C |
| /U - Display ROM file's ROMID |
| /S - Refer to Options: /S |
| /Ln - Refer to Options: /Ln |
| /M - Refer to Options: /M |
| /MAI - Disaply System ROM and ROM file's MA information |
| /HOLE: - Update specific ROM Hole according to given name. |
| NewRomHole1.BIN /HOLE:RomH1 |
| /HOLEOUT: - Save specific ROM Hole according to given name. |
| NewRomHole1.BIN /HOLEOUT:RomH1 |
| /NCB: - Update specific Non-Critical Block according to given name. |
| NewNcb1.BIN /NCB:Ncb1 |
| /NCBOUT: - Save specific Non-Critical Block according to given name. |
| NewNcb1.BIN /NCBOUT:Ncb1 |
| /D - Verification test of given ROM File without flashing BIOS. |
| /CLNEVNLOG - Refer to Options: /CLNEVNLOG |
| Options: |
| /P - Program main BIOS image |
| /B - Program Boot Block |
| /N - Program NVRAM |
| /C - Destroy CMOS checksum |
| /E - Program Embedded Controller Block |
| /K - Program all non-critical blocks |
| /Kn - Program n'th non-critical block only(n=0-7) |
| /Q - Silent execution |
| /REBOOT - Reboot after programming |
| /X - Don't Check ROM ID |
| /S - Display current system's ROMID |
| /Ln - Load CMOS defaults:(n=0-3) |
| L0: Load current optimal |
| L1: Load current failsafe |
| L2: Load optimal from ROM file |
| L3: Load failsafe from ROM file |
| /M - Update bootblock MAC address if it exists |
| Example: /M1234ABCD will update MAC to 1234ABCD |
| /R - Preserve ALL SMBIOS structure during NVRAM programming |
| /ECUF - Update EC BIOS when newer version is detected. |
| /SHUTDOWN - Shutdown after programming. |
| /EC - Program Embedded Controller Block. (Flash Type) |
| /CLNEVNLOG - Clear Event Log. |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+[/cpp]

Irish2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Thank you for the comprehensive reply. It is very much appreciated by me and I'm sure other owners of this unit.

However this is too much infomation for me and I really don't know how to apply the utility or what to do with all the actual Flash Code information for the Utility you provided. Which Boxes do I check this time or are they all properly filled out by default now?

And as for the second Flash Utility what do I do with that and when or has it been removed?

Thanks for your post and I hope to hear more about this from you soon.

G

Check your messages Irish2 :)

Ok now, when the Firmware was fixed, the only thing that was changed is the one item in the flash.bat file as you can see in my previous reply.

When you download the BIOS, there will be 5 files included in the Zip file.

AFUWIN.EXE <<------ This is the Flash Utility
842P161G.ROM <<-- This is the New BIOS

flash.bat <<----------- This is the Batch file which contains the update instructions

UCORESYS.SYS <<---- Driver for Microsoft© Windows© NT/2000/XP/PE/Vista (32bit)
UCOREVXD.VXD <<--- Driver for Microsoft© Windows© 98/ME
UCOREW64.SYS <---- Driver for Microsoft© Windows© XP64 & Vista (64bit)

To run the Flash utility using the Program window, double click on AFUWIN.EXE then "carefully" reading the labels check off the same boxes as the listed switches from the flash.bat file (use a text editor to view the file)

If you're using the flash.bat file, it'll open a command prompt (DOS window), then close it just as quickly. This will be the Flash Utility running in DOS Mode.

Once the BIOS has been updated, there is no need to keep the Flash Utility.

Here is a link to the American Megatrends Inc. BIOS support page which has some useful information.
http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm

G

You're Welcome :)

As for Turbo Boost, it's my understanding that this feature Automatically engages as needed.

The FX6800 should be able to hold up to 24 GB of memory which is something that is not reported in the specifications. 4GB per memory slot total.

-

As for how much physical memory you can run, it depends entirely on what Operating system you run.

Memory Limits for Windows Releases
Vista Ultimate - - - - - 32-bit = 4 GB - - - 64-bit = 128 GB
Vista Enterprise - - - - 32-bit = 4 GB - - - 64-bit = 128 GB
Vista Business - - - - - 32-bit = 4 GB - - - 64-bit = 128 GB
Vista Home Premium - - 32-bit = 4 GB - - - 64-bit = 16 GB
Vista Home Basic - -- - 32-bit = 4 GB - - - 64-bit = 8 GB
Vista Starter - - - - - - 32-bit = 1 GB - - - 64-bit = N/A

I just recently upgraded the memory in my system to 12GB CORSAIR HX3X12G1333C9 for $235.00 with no problems.

If you should decide to upgrade your memory, I would recommend first going into the system BIOS and Enable Clear nVRAM, then use F-10 to save and exit the BIOS. Next, shutdown the system, unplug the power cord, then hold the power button in for a few seconds to drain any remaining power from the system.

Make sure you have an Anti-Static wrist strap before handling the memory as you don't want to risk damaging the memory with static electricity. You can pick one up at Best Buy or possibly some other computer store.

After you put on the wrist strap and connect it to a bare metal part of the case and you make sure you have discharged any static to an existing ground near you, proceed to lay out your new memory sticks, then carefully release and pull the old sticks from the system. You may want to cut one of the cable ties on the wire harness so you can move it out of your way first.

Next, start with the socket closest to the processor and insert the sticks one at a time in the slots, making sure they are lined up properly. Press them in carefully while applying more pressure to the lower end of the stick, then when the lock tab flips up, shift the pressure to the other end to close the other lock tab. Do this for each of the memory sticks. Then using a flat headed screw driver, carefully check to make sure each tab is fully locked in place. - Careful not to apply so much pressure that you accidentally damage the motherboard when pressing in the memory sticks.

After you have finished, plug the system back in, then power it up.

It should boot normally, in which case just go into the BIOS and un-check the Clear nVRAM setting, verify all your settings, then hit F-10 to save and exit.

Should the screen stay dark and after a little while you get a long continuous beep, you should hold the power button in till the system shuts down (about 10 seconds), then restart the system and it should start normally. You will still need to go into the BIOS to save the new memory configuration.

Irish2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
You're Welcome :)

As for Turbo Boost, it's my understanding that this feature Automatically engages as needed.

The FX6800 should be able to hold up to 24 GB of memory which is something that is not reported in the specifications. 4GB per memory slot total.

-

As for how much physical memory you can run, it depends entirely on what Operating system you run.

Memory Limits for Windows Releases
Vista Ultimate - - - - - 32-bit = 4 GB - - - 64-bit = 128 GB
Vista Enterprise - - - - 32-bit = 4 GB - - - 64-bit = 128 GB
Vista Business - - - - - 32-bit = 4 GB - - - 64-bit = 128 GB
Vista Home Premium - - 32-bit = 4 GB - - - 64-bit = 16 GB
Vista Home Basic - -- - 32-bit = 4 GB - - - 64-bit = 8 GB
Vista Starter - - - - - - 32-bit = 1 GB - - - 64-bit = N/A

I just recently upgraded the memory in my system to 12GB CORSAIR HX3X12G1333C9 for $235.00 with no problems.

If you should decide to upgrade your memory, I would recommend first going into the system BIOS and Enable Clear nVRAM, then use F-10 to save and exit the BIOS. Next, shutdown the system, unplug the power cord, then hold the power button in for a few seconds to drain any remaining power from the system.

Make sure you have an Anti-Static wrist strap before handling the memory as you don't want to risk damaging the memory with static electricity. You can pick one up at Best Buy or possibly some other computer store.

After you put on the wrist strap and connect it to a bare metal part of the case and you make sure you have discharged any static to an existing ground near you, proceed to lay out your new memory sticks, then carefully release and pull the old sticks from the system. You may want to cut one of the cable ties on the wire harness so you can move it out of your way first.

Next, start with the socket closest to the processor and insert the sticks one at a time in the slots, making sure they are lined up properly. Press them in carefully while applying more pressure to the lower end of the stick, then when the lock tab flips up, shift the pressure to the other end to close the other lock tab. Do this for each of the memory sticks. Then using a flat headed screw driver, carefully check to make sure each tab is fully locked in place. - Careful not to apply so much pressure that you accidentally damage the motherboard when pressing in the memory sticks.

After you have finished, plug the system back in, then power it up.

It should boot normally, in which case just go into the BIOS and un-check the Clear nVRAM setting, verify all your settings, then hit F-10 to save and exit.

Should the screen stay dark and after a little while you get a long continuous beep, you should hold the power button in till the system shuts down (about 10 seconds), then restart the system and it should start normally. You will still need to go into the BIOS to save the new memory configuration.

Renegade Warrior please check your private messages. :??:

G

For anyone else reading this thread, I just realized a little something while reading my messages from Irish2 this morning.

-

The following settings will allow you to view the file extensions and hidden files on your system. The Second Flash utility Irish2 was referring to I'm fairly sure was nothing more than the batch file, but with the file extensions hidden, it simply read as "Flash"

Open Windows Explorer

Select Tools > Folder Options > the "View" tab

Under "Hidden files and folders" select - Show hidden files and folders

Next three boxes should be "Unchecked"

corby

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I don't know if I missed something but when I try to run the flash.bat or the AFUWIN program I get the message "Error: Loading Driver".

I'm using the file from Gateway 842P161G.

Any suggestions?

G

Sorry 'bout that.

Here Are The Two Methods For Updating Your BIOS

-

All the files you extracted from the Zipfile need to be in the same directory, especially the driver files or it won't work.
(preferably in directory off the Root of the drive such as C:\Update or some such)

Next, not knowing if you have the original or the fixed version, using Notepad or your favorite text editor, open the file flash.bat

The only line you should see in the file is AFUWIN.EXE 842P161G.ROM /p /b /x /L2 /REBOOT

-

To be on the safe side, disconnect your system from your network or broadband modem to isolate it.

Then disable your Anti-Virus program and make sure nothing else is running in the background.
(This is to make sure that nothing interferes with the Flashing of your BIOS) as a Corrupt BIOS will ruin the system.

Then select Start > Run and browse to the folder where the files are and select flash.bat - then hit Open.

It should work.

DO NOT Touch anything until it finishes.

-

The other method would be to run AFUWIN.EXE in Windows Mode.

Same as before, all the files will need to be in the same directory.

Make sure your system is disconnected, the Anti-Virus is disabled, then
select Start > Run and browse to the folder where the files are and select AFUWIN.EXE Then hit - Open

You will see a Dialog Window pop up with three tabs, Select the Setup tab.

Under Block Options, you'll want to select the following.

- Program All Blocks
- Boot Block

Under CMOS Options Select - Load ROM File's Optimal

Under Miscellaneous Select

- Do Not Check ROM ID
- Restart After Programming

Next Click Open and select the ROM file - 842P161G.ROM

Click the Flash button and let it do it's job.

DO NOT Touch anything until it finishes.

- I hope this helps

corby

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for the info but I still did not get it to work.

The files are all in the same folder. I used msconfig to run minimal services and I disconnected the network. Still get the same error.

The only change I have made to this computer other than adding software was to fix the problem of the flashing cursor in windows explorer by upgrading the sound driver. Don't think that should be a problem though.

G

Hmmmmm......

If you're still getting the same error, I honestly don't know what to say without personally checking it out first hand.

A couple of things......

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

To the Right of "Bios Version/Date" check to see what version it says.

If it says AMI R01-A04, then somehow you managed to update the BIOS before this point. If the version it shows is 842P091G (factory default back in December), or a higher version, then the system still has not been updated.

The other thing that comes to mind is that you may be trying to do this in Safe Mode or from a Limited User Account.

Run the system in Normal Boot Mode as usual, using an Administrator Account.

-

The other thing that comes to mind is that you might have something installed on your system that is preventing the program from loading correctly.

-

There are a few things I can think of that MIGHT possibly cause this, but off hand, I don't want to scare you by suggesting something which may not be there.

What I can suggest if you can't get the Flash Utility to run would be to check your system for any parasites such as Spyware, Malware, RootKits, Rogue Security Programs ect...

You may want to visit the SWI Forums Home of the Boot Camp.

There you'll want to access the Malware Removal sub-Forum. There will be a few stickies with important information to read.

- "Hijacked Users" - Start here
- Removal Tools: "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"
- Removal Tools: "Spybot"
- Not getting help with your log?

After reading those sticky posts, you'll want to run "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" and HiJackThis in that order.

Make sure you save the log files, then create a new post and attach the log files to your post along with a brief description of the problem, you may even want to include a link to this thread so they'll see the problem you're having.

Someone will be along soon as possible to help.

Good Luck

conflipper

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
okay I did all of that and now it wont boot up at all. CMOS checksum Error. I cant do anything. my BIOS date is reading 2/11/09 version is R01-A4, but I just get a Checksum Error.

I reset defults on bios, even took cmos battery out. still getting same thing. Gateway online chat, told me the MOBO was bad, but it will register the HD in the BIOS, 750, and 500 GB. but not sure.

Any ideas on what I need to do, to get it going, roll back to old bios or anything?

G

OUCH!

Check Sum error is not good :(

The BIOS date and version shows what appears to be a successful update.

So if you're getting a Check Sum Error when you boot the system, the BIOS may have been corrupted somehow.

This is why I specify disconnecting the system and making sure nothing is running in the background, especially any Anti-Virus program.

Or your as Gateway support says, the motherboard may be bad which is always a possibility unless we can eliminate other possible causes.

-

If you are getting a Boot Screen, (before windows) then turn your system on and immediately start hitting F-2 repeatedly

This will hopefully bring you into the BIOS.

If this works, then just verify all your settings, then hit F-10 to save and exit the BIOS. Your system should work correctly now.

-

If it doesn't go into the BIOS, then try one last thing.....

Open your case and find the Clear CMOS jumper. Use the jumper block to short the two pins for a few seconds, then return the jumper block to the position it was previously.

After this, try starting your system and use F-2 to get into the BIOS.
If this works, you'll need to verify all the settings and possibly change a few. Just be careful what you do in the BIOS.

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

If not, then the motherboard may just be bad as Gateway Support suggested.

The only way I know to repair a bad flash is to pull the BIOS chip and replace it with a new one. But the BIOS chip in this system is soldered to the board instead of being in a socket and without the motherboard manual, it does not look like this system has a fail safe backup bios as some boards do have these days.

Good Luck

rdk2009

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

Damn sorry I missed this. I would get that message too. I was able to fix this by right clicking on the AFUWIN.exe and then clicking on "Run as administrator"

Sorry to hear you get the CMOS checksum Error :( I would get that error too, but I was still able to boot into windows.

Irish2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Corby,

Renegate Warrior has had the best solutions for me. Before my first post, I tried to flash the BIOS on a "guess" basis as you know there is no documentation or support from Gateway on any of this.

My first attempt let me to the first post in this thread as I took the unit back to Best Buy out of sheer frustration from Gateway's lack of support. The Geek Squad Tech before taking my machine back for a full refund & return agreed to see if he could flash the BIOS. Using the AMI Flais Utility Only he checked off all of the boxes and then flashed the BIOS and it appears to have worked. I have the correct updated BIOS version and the Checksum Error which I was getting immediatly went away on the first reboot.
We ran the final attempt on the Vista 64 Administrator Mode right from the desktop and it worked. I did not have show hidden files configured at the time. But I would try Renegade Warriors suggestions. They are consistent with what I accomplished by accident.

Finally, now I'm on to my next problem with this unit. The Labelflash Drive's hardware or the Utility Program provided by Cyber Link called Label Print 2.0 walks me throgh the steps to create the Disk Burning of a Label on the Memorex or Fuji Lableflash DVD blank media buth the program locks up and stops reponding after it asks you to insert a Labelflash DVD.

I once again was not able to get any support from Gateway except to Pay 59.99 which I refused today. So I have to call Cyber Link tomorrow and sent them and e-mail. Also, do a Web Search for Fuji and when you find there web page go to the section on the Label Flash Media. They have free templates and a Yamaha/ Fuji free download of another little program to write labels on the media. Also chek the link on where to buy the Media ( none in Best Buy or any Staples etc. in MA). Only Memorex at $ 16.99 + Shipping on their website for only 10 DVD's which is very expensive. Fuji has a link on where to buy and directed you to Total Media. They have spindles of 50 Fuji Labelflash DVD's for $19.95. I couldn't find a spindle anywere eles with the well know Computer Retail Websites doing a variety of Searches. This works out to about 35 cents a DVD vs. $1.95. You don't really need Labelflash but as the unit has it and if you want to use it these DVD's are not easy to find or readily available. So of course there isn't much price competion unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.