Sign in with
Your question

Under Folder Properties, Every directory on drive has duplicate tabs for "genera

Last response: in Windows XP
April 20, 2011 5:18:30 AM

Hello,
Under Folder Properties, Every directory on drive has duplicate tabs for "general" & "sharing".
It acts like there are 2 references to each of my folder properties, as well as the Drive Properties. For instance , i go to "my computer" and right click the C: drive properties. I get two tabs saying General and two Tabs saying "sharing".
When i click on the first "General" tab (for c: drive), i see the used space , free space, pie graph. When i click on the second "General" tab , it references My Documents folder, with a path c:\documents and settings\stelio.
It is that second "general" tab and path that is on every folder property , and drive property, in cluding the dvd drive. I could use some help to get rid of it. I did have a rootkit virus in my MBR, before this happened.
April 20, 2011 3:24:11 PM

This is a new one for me, I'd re-install Windows. Your file system may have gotten pretty corrupt, like it's linking the directories to several points instead of one.
m
l
April 21, 2011 12:08:27 AM

I have used the windows xp disk to re-install its files, without erasing the existing Installation, or losing my data. I have also run "sfc /scannow", everythings appears fine. So this issue is beyond my knowledge, If i knew how or where they may have been linked, then maybe there's a way to undo it . I ran ccleaner to clean up registry.. none of these things seem to help.
m
l
April 21, 2011 1:40:21 PM

This is after you re-installed Windows? Or did you do a "repair" installation? Need to post what you did already.
m
l
April 28, 2011 10:27:45 PM

I was able to figure out and solve the problem. I checked the directory class in the registry, and found that there was an extra shell property attached to it, with data from the My Properties directory.
Removed it and all is well, in that area.
Only one last unrelated issue to resolve. Maybe for another post.

thx all for trying.

(i had used the R option to reinstall windows, without deleting my data, else there would be no point to my post) (the R option will only appear when you select a 'new windows installation', and it finds that one already exists)(useful for refreshing system files and drivers, after a virus attack)
m
l
February 21, 2012 3:43:15 PM

928806,5,874419 said:
I was able to figure out and solve the problem. I checked the directory class in the registry, and found that there was an extra shell property attached to it, with data from the My Properties directory.
Removed it and all is well, in that area.
Only one last unrelated issue to resolve. Maybe for another post.

Please advise registry path to do this fix. Is this in HKey_Classes_Root?
I have the same problem

m
l
February 21, 2012 3:45:22 PM

Please advise registry path to do this fix. Is this in HKey_Classes_Root?
I have the same problem
m
l
February 25, 2012 8:27:47 AM

It was a while ago, but yes , I recall that the duplication was in HKEY_Classes_Root , under the 'directory' class.

Hope this helps..
m
l
February 25, 2012 9:11:12 AM

hang-the-9 said:
This is after you re-installed Windows? Or did you do a "repair" installation? Need to post what you did already.
This is after you re-installed Windows?
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:14:15 AM

Try this software "Duplicate Files Deleter" from http://***/. You can manage any duplicate

files without worries and it's safe to use. There's a quick video on how to use this

software from their website. It's the best way to manage unnecessary duplicate files.
m
l
!