Jan 19, 2008
I have a home built system with the following configuration:
No name case
MSI 848P Neo Mobo
Pentium 4 2.8 ghz Northwood CPU
1 GB PC3200 Buffalo Select DDR RAM
80 GB Western Digital HDD
Windows XP
I recently discovered that the CPU fan had failed (Gee, is it quiet in here?) and the CPU was running at about 100*c (But it was running). I shut the system down, ordered a new CPU heat sink and installed it.
The system won't post and the D-bracket code indicates...
"Memory Detection Test - Testing onboard memory size. The D-LED will hang if the memory module is damaged or not installed properly"
I tried reseating the memory stick and then replacing with another stick of 512MB PC2700 PNY memory I had waiting in the wings.
No change.
My presumption is that somehow I did something to the Mobo in/and or around the memory slots when I was putting in the new heat sink. The slot is next to the CPU and the retaining brackets for the sink required a certain amount of pressure to engage.
Now, as the kicker here. I bought the board a year before I got up the gumption (and the other parts) to build the system. (it was my first time) When I tried at that time to install the memory I could only use one slot. The system would give me this same error if I installed in the other slot. (Either only in that slot or in addition to the other slot.)
I figured at that time that I had damaged the one slot but after a year the board was certainly not returnable. It was working pretty well with the one stick so.....
Anyway, any other ideas about what could be wrong and what other steps I might take would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and effort.

Mondoman

Splendid
The board might have been damaged before. The high heat from the CPU could have caused damage on the MB. Perhaps your heatsink removal and installation caused damage. My guess is that the board is now toast.

bobarotti

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Thanks.....that has been my thought too. Cest la vie! Now the question is...do I replace the Mobo and reuse the existing hardware or build a new system? :eek: