sm0ke

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
I re-installed windows xp and my 250gb HD said it only had 127Gb's. this happend with my other HD too, anyone know what the problem may be? Thanks in advanced

sub mesa

Distinguished
You will need a Windows XP SP1 or higher CD; the original XP does not support drives larger than 128GiB/137GB.

You can slipstream you existing XP cd with a service pack so it is integrated; or just install the service pack and then expand your current C: drive to use the additional space. This can be done in the Start->right click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management screen and should be done after having installed SP1 or higher and rebooted.

Been there, done that! :bounce:

What is your motherboard? Seeing that you re-installed Windows XP, I think this is the issue.

Motherboards made before 01/01/2003(?) do not support the 48-bit LBA, to reconize hard drives larger than the 137GB limit:
http://www.48bitlba.com/overview.htm

Some manufacters have a BIOS update, that would then support larger hard drives.

You did not partition is as such, right? Just lost 123GB?

You have some choices:

1. Leave it as it is. Loose all the extra space. :(

2. Some hard drive manufactures have a "patch" (i.e. Western Digital Smart Drive) to overcome this limit. I used this on my old 486DX machine in the 90's that would only support up to 2.1GB, and I had a 2.5GB drive. It just partioned the drive into 2150MB and 400MB. (This is a software fix, for a hardware problem.)
3. Get a new motherboard, to support large hard drives, and your current CPU. ($$)

4. Get an add-on drive controller card to support larger hard drives. I think these can overcome the motherboard onboard controller limit. (Research it, via online retailers.)

4. My suggestion: Get a 120GB hard drive, for now. ($$).

BUT, having just "bing-ed" the 48-bit LBA, I found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

Did you install Windows XP SP1 or higher? That is what the site is getting too.

GO there first! :bounce:

sm0ke

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Yes i installed my XP cd that didnt have sp1. Installed all SP's and sub mesa's suggestion worked for me. Thanks guys!!
Motherboard, Gigabyte 6-quad series/S-series Ultra durable 2