Sign in with
Your question

A quick question for you talent OC'ers

Last response: in Overclocking
March 20, 2010 1:19:28 AM

Hi there guys!

Just a quick question!

I have a MSI GD65 and when I use the OC Genie feature, it enables it successfully, but the computer resets before getting to windows.

Here are my specs

I5-750 CPU

4GB DDR3 Gskill RAM

1 x Geforce 280GTX

3 x 7200rpm Hard drives

1 x Corsair H50 liquid CPU cooler

2 x System fans

1 x NZXT fan controller

600w OCZ Mod Stream PSU

Basically I think the OC genie is adding extra volts to my CPU and my PSU can’t supply enough power so it just resets. Do you agree? I went on an online PSU calculator and it suggested I should aim for a 650W PSU

Would I be able to get round this, just by overclocking as far as I can without increasing the vCore?

I don’t want to achieve a massive OC, just something above stock would be nice, so I know I’m not being CPU limited in any games, without having to buy a whole new PSU.

Any help appreciated!

More about : quick question talent ers

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 20, 2010 2:14:56 AM

I kinda doubt this is your PSU...

What happens, do you get a blue screen, or does it just randomly reset?

You could test if this is your CPU by putting in an old GPU that doesnt take as much power.
March 21, 2010 11:21:28 AM

No, it just randomly resets, you get the 1st screen with the MSI logo and I know OC genie is working because it comes up with OC GENIE ENABLED. Then after about 10 seconds it randomly resets. I have to turn off OC Genie to get it to boot.

I have an old 8600GT (passive) around, I'll try that, good idea mate.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2010 11:01:18 PM

What does it say when you go to the pc health area of your bios?

What does it say all of your rails are out?
March 21, 2010 11:35:31 PM

Parge said:
Hi there guys!

Just a quick question!

I have a MSI GD65 and when I use the OC Genie feature, it enables it successfully, but the computer resets before getting to windows.

Here are my specs

I5-750 CPU

4GB DDR3 Gskill RAM

1 x Geforce 280GTX

3 x 7200rpm Hard drives

1 x Corsair H50 liquid CPU cooler

2 x System fans

1 x NZXT fan controller

600w OCZ Mod Stream PSU

Basically I think the OC genie is adding extra volts to my CPU and my PSU can’t supply enough power so it just resets. Do you agree? I went on an online PSU calculator and it suggested I should aim for a 650W PSU

Would I be able to get round this, just by overclocking as far as I can without increasing the vCore?

I don’t want to achieve a massive OC, just something above stock would be nice, so I know I’m not being CPU limited in any games, without having to buy a whole new PSU.

Any help appreciated!

I think whats happening is that your CPU is actully over heating and making Windows BSOD while booting!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2010 3:16:27 AM

^ Not if the H50 is functioning properly and you seated it properly.

He has got a point though. You may want to OC then check the temp in the bios. If you do this add 15c to the temp it gives you because the sensor in the MB is always about 15c cooler than the core.
March 22, 2010 3:45:46 AM

overshocked said:
^ Not if the H50 is functioning properly and you seated it properly.

He has got a point though. You may want to OC then check the temp in the bios. If you do this add 15c to the temp it gives you because the sensor in the MB is always about 15c cooler than the core.

I agree with you as well!
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 22, 2010 11:31:32 AM

If the system works properly at stock speeds, it doesn't matter what OC Genie says. You have a problem with your overclock, and it is not your PSU.

Learn to use the BIOS.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2010 4:24:06 PM

^ OC Genie is similar to the bios...its more of an Auto OC feature in the bios.

I suggest to add a little more VTT and Vcore to the CP. That should also help. (as long as temps are good)
March 23, 2010 8:07:57 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies! Just to add to the story....

I'd been playing CoH with everything up to max for about an hour, then boom, the whole computer just shuts off, and just the power light is blinking. I have to hold down the power button to turn it off completely, then restart it.

I think you guys might be right, and my CPU is overheating. That H50 was a bitch to get on, so the thermal paste might be badly applied. I'll open up the box and re-apply it, and we'll see how we go!

Many thanks! :) 
!