Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are server hard drives different then desktop hard drives

Last response: in Storage
April 24, 2010 12:34:38 AM

ok so i found a really cheap server at some yard sale. and because it was basically free i bought it. basically iv been just taking anything out of it that i can use for my gaming computer (fans, disk drive, etc)

now theres 3 hard drives in it. each 35gb and their at 10k rpm. however their screwed into these strange socket type things with weird screws and all attached to this backboard. so basically what im wondering is if i can get them out of these sockets will they work in my desktop? or do servers have a different type of hard drive?
April 24, 2010 12:38:26 AM

CrysisComa said:
ok so i found a really cheap server at some yard sale. and because it was basically free i bought it. basically iv been just taking anything out of it that i can use for my gaming computer (fans, disk drive, etc)

now theres 3 hard drives in it. each 35gb and their at 10k rpm. however their screwed into these strange socket type things with weird screws and all attached to this backboard. so basically what im wondering is if i can get them out of these sockets will they work in my desktop? or do servers have a different type of hard drive?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1903...

heres what they look like, and the thing under it is the socket thing
m
l
April 24, 2010 1:10:52 AM

scsi
you will need a card to run these hard rives and yes they "were faster"
m
l
Related resources
April 24, 2010 1:39:55 PM

spentshells said:
scsi
you will need a card to run these hard rives and yes they "were faster"

well my current hard drives are only 7200rpm so i thought i might as well use them. but what kind of card do i need?
m
l

Best solution

April 27, 2010 2:15:57 AM

a scsi card
I doubt they will be faster than your current drives..... as those 35 GB drives are really old
April 28, 2010 8:48:04 PM

Best answer selected by CrysisComa.
m
l
!