Sign in with
Your question

Xp to windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
September 10, 2011 7:16:25 PM

my question is I just did a sand bridge build. I have windows xp or windows vista to install for free. Since I am a student I van get windows 7 upgrade for 30$. So should I install xp or vista to get my build going then upgrade to windows 7 right away?
Raidmax solodon case
ASUS|P8H61-M (REV 3.0) H61 1155
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2400 3.1G 6M R
DVD BURN LG | GH24NS70 OEM
KB MICROSOFT|JWD-00046 R
MS MICROSOFT|OPTICAL MOUSE 200 BK R
HDD 1.5T|ST ST1500DL003 5.9K
MEM 2Gx2|CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9A G R

More about : windows

a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2011 7:23:01 PM

It really does not matter, the OS isn't really "upgraded" like older versions of Windows used to do, the upgrade is all about license requirements these days, not the actual install. Win7 will save your current OS install into a backup folder, and the install will be completely fresh, be sure you get the 64 bit version of Win 7 if you can.
ps. When you do the install of Vista or XP, don't do anything else, don't install any programs, drivers, nothing. Just install it, and then go straight to Win 7, you will be wasting your time if you do more.
m
l
September 10, 2011 8:03:38 PM

I concur with jitpublisher. If you can't wait to just install Win7 then upgrade asap and don't waste any time installing programs or transferring data into XP or Vista.
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2011 10:39:22 PM

Don't bother with Windows Xp its close to a 10 year old operating system now. Go with windows 7 whether or not that means installing vista first. As previously mentioned if you install 7 after vista or xp, it will backup you previous files into a folder on your "C:\" drive called Windows.Old, also best get the 64-bit if u can.
m
l
September 11, 2011 3:44:28 AM

Ok thanks guys that's what I will do so I can save money!
m
l
September 11, 2011 5:32:40 AM

You mention "to get your build going"- if it takes some time to get your Win7 using your student status then go ahead and put whatever OS you have on the computer, or even if you have to borrow an OS. You can install whatever OS and run it for 30 days before you have to activate it with a key. That would give you time to get the computer built and make sure it is running OK. You could install apps too, but when you get your new OS you would want to do a clean install with it and reinstall your apps.

The exception to this is if you can borrow a Win7 of the same variety as you can get as a student. You can install and run it for 30 days without activation, then when you get your version as a student you just put that key into the already running installation. You wouldn't have to reinstall it.
m
l
!