AMD PhenomX4 9650 overclocking

andy051651

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I am new to overclocking but I wiyld like to now how to overclock this CPU/MB combo:

AMD Phenpm 9650, ASUS M4N78 PRO

I do not want to push it too far, but 2.6-2.7 would be great!

WHComp

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Start by downloading AMD overclock utility. Up the multiplier first to get the MHz you want, then run a program to test the stability (I use Prime95). Up the voltage until the system is stable, up the voltage as little as possible and make sure you are monitoring your temps (I use Core Temp). This will be a good place to start but make sure you read some more on overclocking.

loneninja

Distinguished

Good job giving advice that doesn't apply to his system. Over drive isn't compatible with his computer because he has an nvidia based motherboard. Than increasing the multiplier is only possible on black edition processors, which the 9650 is not.

Andy, you need to go into your bios and find the CPU/HT reference clock(may have a slightly different name in your BIOS than it does mine). The default on all AMD processors is 200mhz, and that number multiplied by the cpu multiplier is how you get your clock speed. I know your multiplier is 11.5 because 2300mhz/200mhz equals 11.5. If you want your cpu to run at 2600mhz you will need to raise your reference clock from 200 to 226. You may also need to increase your voltage but I wouldn't go past 1.4V. Than as already mentioned, you can use prime95 to check for stability and you need to monitor your temps. Programs like core temp or hardware monitor work well for that. I think 61C is the max safe core temp on Phenom.