Total: 9 votes (2 blank votes)

• Yes
  • 58 %
  • No
  • 15 %
  • Your Crazy and should have your account deleted for asking >.<
  • 29 %
April 24, 2010 3:43:43 AM

So we can file this idea under insane but has anyone ever seen a floppy disk using SATA. I know it has no practical use and is kinda silly but at the same time its kinda neat idea. I kinda wondering could a floppy even use a SATA connector. I could see some uses for it thought extreme case builders who want a floppy or company's who still use floppy disk format but need to upgrade to new machines. Not to mention it would finally allow us to get rid of all the ribbon cables in a a case :p . I know its random but post your thoughts cause i am board >.<

More about : sata floppy disk

a b G Storage
April 24, 2010 3:46:34 AM

Floppies are so obsolete, it's not even funny. About the only way to stick with floppy is a USB external. I don't see them making a SATA floppy drive.
May 1, 2010 11:45:37 PM

As more newer computers are built without floppy controllers the ability to access and store data becomes more difficult.

My employer recently installed a NEW Multi-Million Dollar press and it has a floppy drive in it that stores the program for it's operation.

We may find ourselves looking for old hardware to put programs on this machine. We have some machines 40 years old, so in the future we will still need the floppy disks and a computer to put data on them.
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
May 2, 2010 1:12:59 AM

dwebb5 said:
My employer recently installed a NEW Multi-Million Dollar press and it has a floppy drive in it that stores the program for it's operation.

Whoever made the decision on that thing needs a lesson in obsolescence.
May 13, 2010 4:07:02 PM

Did you not read "NEW" in that sentence?

If anything the MANUFACTURER of the press needs to design in potential upgrades to newer technology.
a c 415 G Storage
May 13, 2010 5:09:42 PM

dwebb5 said:
Did you not read "NEW" in that sentence?

Of course I did. But it takes two to tango - just because someone builds something doesn't mean it's a smart choice for you to choose it. If the same equipment was available using vacuum tube technology, would you buy it?
a b G Storage
May 13, 2010 5:17:40 PM

Actually vacuum tubes are still used in certain modern equipment. For example these are sold for amps: http://www.amazon.com/TESLA-JJ-6L6GC-Vacuum-Tube/dp/B00... 8)

But I get your point. I'd also be paranoid about putting anything important on floppies anyways, they just are not very reliable storage media.
a c 415 G Storage
May 13, 2010 5:31:48 PM

gtvr said:
Actually vacuum tubes are still used in certain modern equipment.
And of course if you buy such equipment you had better realize that you can't just go down to your local Radio Shack to replace a tube when it burns out.

(I remember taking tubes from our TV set down to the drug store to use their tube tester...)
a b G Storage
May 14, 2010 12:20:21 AM

You're older than me then :D 

I had an older house (recently, not growing up) that used fuses. They still sell those at Home Depot though.

Who wants to go to Radio Shack when there's the interweb to buy stuff? Also you dated yourself even more, it's "The Shack" now :D 
a c 415 G Storage
May 14, 2010 6:32:51 AM

Actually here in Canada the company that used to have the Radio Shack franchise lost it and their stores are now called "The Source".
!